Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Can anyone Identify this shovel marked US Wood 1944? It's not an M1943 or a T handle M1910.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conrad Clark, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Conrad Clark

Conrad Clark New Member

Hope this is the right area to post. Bought this entrenching tool on a whim for $10 at a pawn shop. I can't find any info on it.. it looks similar to an M1943 but without the folding mechanism. Could this be a vehicle shovel?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Modified post war surplus? Rich A. in Pa.

3. CAW1

CAW1 Member

My family discovered a stocking in a wall cavity inside my Grandfather's closet after he passed away. The family knew he had a penchant for hiding stuff so, after he died, they raked the place over real good. Inside the stocking (1940's silk btw) was a M1 carbine just like in this picture. It was stamped with a flaming ball shell near the forward sight with "8-43". Near the rear sight was stamped "Underwood". The same flaming ball shell was also stamped on the facing of the stock. With the carbine was two 30 round clips spot welded together to form a flipping banana clip. No ammo found, but it takes the standard .30 cal. ammo. We bought a few boxes and tried it out. Needless to say, everyone to this day in the family (the males mostly), continue to fight for its possession. What is the learned opinion of what something like that is worth? The spot welded clips don't fit with 43' I don't think. People are saying maybe a $1000 dollars. I don't know. It's a different side of my family than my posts so I have no sentimental attachment to it.

M1carbine.png

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017