Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Canadian Parliament Debates The Word "Fart"

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by GRW, Nov 19, 2016.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Just posting this out of interest incredulity. I'm on no-one's side-
    "A somewhat unusual row broke out in the Canadian parliament when an MP used the word "fart".
    Conservative MP Michelle Rempel was making an impassioned speech on employment when she accused the government of treating her constituency Alberta "like a fart in the room".
    Green Party leader Elizabeth May took offence and was quick to express her dismay.

"I heard her say a word I know is distinctly unparliamentary and I think she may want to withdraw it," she said.
    She then continued to spell out the offending word to avoid causing further offense, telling parliament: "The word was f-a-r-t".
    Tory MP Rempel retorted: "Is my colleague actually serious? I just gave an impassioned speech about Alberta jobs and that's what the leader of a political party has to say? No, I don't withdraw it.""
    http://stv.tv/news/international/1373371-row-breaks-out-in-canadian-parliament-over-the-word-fart/

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think it's funny that the Green Party leader thinks that spelling out the word "fart" is less objectionable than speaking it.

3. GRW

Aye, Primary School level politics.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Almost makes me proud we elected Donald Trump President......Almost.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  5. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Who'd have thought any Green would object to talk of a greenhouse gas.

Poppy and Slipdigit like this.
  6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

#1- "Just posting this out of interest incredulity."
    Welcome to our country. Wonder what new immigrants think of Bill C16.
    This - Bill C16 (hey- that could be the moniker of some zhe or whatever- so confusing)...31 or 58 gender identities?
    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/civil-rights/301661-this-canadian-prof-defied-sjw-on-gender-pronouns-and-has-a

And here is our gorgeous-err- glorious leader talking about how he solicits for the pierre trudeau foundation...Looks like JT wants a statue of his glorious father to be built (no way, jose)...see, JT was voted in because-change...lol...a handsomer hillary clinton with the tattoos she wished she had.
    http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/12/14/justin-trudeau-cash-access-fundraisers-help-middle-class/

Do people know Castro was a pall bearer for pierre trudeau?

8. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Slow news day in Canada when Parliament gets to this point, maybe a slow month. And with Aleppo, Raqqa, Mosul and S.E. Turkey aflame, they waste time on this. OP that emoticon is working way to hard, prunes in order for the bloke.

Never knew that about Castro the pall bearer.

But then I just found out Craig MacTavish did a year in stir for a vehicular dui manslaughter while with the Bruins.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yes, he did kill. And the Oilers hired him (i was not happy aboot it). Peter Pocklington started the dynasty and the way the club operated thereafter. Slimy- but as a small Canadian market, they did what they felt they had to.
    Remember when Peter ran away when a gunman took his wife hostage at their home in Edmonton...

10. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

There's nothing new in the fight by individuals against the authorites to maintain the continued use of legitimate words.

As when I demanded that the BBC gave me back my "Bastard" !

Have just been trawling through some postings I'd previously made on the ww2f forum and came across another minor " victory" that I won against the BBC so I repeat it below.

I still think it's funny :)

Writing about the time I spent on the BBC WW2 Peoples War site has reminded me of an amusing episode to do with the "Bebe's" policy on the use of swear words.

Like many other websites of this type, postings were put through a pre-scanning process before being accepted and certain swear words were strictly taboo.

I had just posted a piece about my tank commander "Busty" Thomas
    BBC - WW2 People's War - Diary Entries 11th April 1945
    and to my surprise it was rejected by the moderators because I had used the word "bastard". This despite the fact that "bastard" was in every dictionary and had been used to quote an actual remark made by the aforesaid "Busty".

I received an e-mail from the Moderators that said if I used asterisks (as in "BxxxxxxS) the article would then be accepted.

I settled for this and the piece was duly allowed on site until, almost a year later, I was browsing through the recent postings and noticed that more and more people were using the dreaded word and, more importantly, getting away with it !

I wrote to the Moderators and was told that the Bebe had decided to adopt a more relaxed view on the subject, to which I replied "Please can I have my BASTARD back ?

I am pleased to report that Busty's actual words are now preserved for posterity

Ron

Poppy and GRW like this.
  11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A statue of Keith Richards?

Poppy likes this.
  12. GRW

Either Oxford or Cambridge Uni has just done something similar with toilet door signs. Can't find the blasted link though.