Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Canned foods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prospero Quevedo, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Its really amazing what America accomplished during WWII we were supplying arms ammunition, combat vehicles and planes to England, Russia and Australia and tons of canned foods. So much canned production went to the war effort that most homes in the states had their own gardens and bottling preserves was huge. I read lots of foreign troops loved our canned goods. I know there was can veggies and fruits, soups, stews, pork and beans, baked beans, corn beef hash, canned fish, the big one spam, canned brown bread. What other big troop favorites. Oh yeah canned eggs, sausages would that be Vienna sausages. Spaghetti in tomato soup...why not spaghetti sauce???

Never heard of brown bread did some reading its a favorite of new England states, some say banana bread without the banana others a bran muffin but denser. Most said great and the others like gross. I'm sure in the field it was probably really good when your half starved. Funny some said great with beans, B&M brown bread with B&M baked beans. Anyone have a honest opinion on it have you eaten it

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

You a steve1989 fan?

Those tanker Ten in One were envied by the GIs. Better than C or K rations.

How about the German lard in a tube (like toothpaste). Ymmmmm.

3. Prospero Quevedo

Never heard of those but the lard thing sounds gross. LoL, a lot of US canned food was edible straight out of the can so soldiers could eat them cold if necessary and often was. I like the roast beef we have nowadays but did they have anything similar corn beef is not the same and is not so good out of the can like it pressed into a Patty and fried.

4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Edible and enjoyable are two different critters. Let's get this on a tray. Teh in One had a better variety but was much heavier and hence given to tankers who could strap a box on their tank.

5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

....also, I take the portions for the US were more than other countries? or did the other countries ground troops get about the same amount as the US?

6. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Those questions for U-toob star Steve1989 to answer. I do know our rations had good cigarettes; likely the best in the world. Yay?

7. Prospero Quevedo

My mom and aunt told me when my dad came back from one of his reserve excercise he brought some c rations for them to try they said it was terrible. They said it was a blue berry muffin so dense it was hard to eat. I read there was a big block that said candy bar but it wasn't the military was aware of the problems with chocolate is it melted and turn chalky when it got hot. The government offered a large contract to what candy company that could come out with a solution. Mars candy company, and m&Ms are born. For awhile one solution was a potato bar looked like candy mixed with Coco but taste like????? But the important thing is it was packed with calories. I read they added a small tin of m&Ms, cigarettes and matches, gum and toilet paper. During WWII the government was the highest consumer of candy cigarettes Coca-Cola and beer. Also canned food, canned goods were short in stores and home canning and preserves was big nation wide, the Mason jar business must have been going gang busters. They say when freeze dried foods came out during Vietnam the troops loved them, the bacon and eggs are good and beans and weiners not bad. The freezed dried ice cream was odd like a candy bar kind of sweet odd texture. Then MREs wonder how many troops got food poisoning from the early batches. But they got that resolved. They say in the civil war and WWI hundreds to thousands of soldiers died of food poisoning because canning was not perfected. Hell some manufacturers used Mercury solder to seal the cans mercury toxic. And so ends the two hundred souls of the northwest passage expedition.

8. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Here is a review of the D ration bar.

9. Prospero Quevedo

Wow, lol that was not tasty sounding was interesting

10. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes..why was that? .....well, they didn't call the Canal Starvation Island for nothing ....I thought I read in WW2 Magazine, a ''lot'' of Russian soldiers starved
    ....on the Canal, it was a lot from poor logistics

11. Prospero Quevedo

They say poor logistics was blamed for the supply problems the Soviets had in the winter war. Ammo shortages and food shortages. They say it was the main cause for the loss of a whole division in what they called the battle of the sausage. On of Stalin's backlash for disposing of 100,000 officers who didn't actually do anything but had been in the white army at sometime.

bronk7 likes this.
  12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

there is a great thread somewhere here regarding ww2 foods, canned, recipes etc.

13. Prospero Quevedo

Lol, I'll have to check it out. I do think it is funny how spam is the most remembered food. There's a sad sack cartoon he gets spam day after day till he's sick of it. He gets a care package and is drooling cookies cake, opens his package cans of spam. My nephew by marriage told me his grandfather that was in the army never touched spam after he got out. Said he hated spam army made them eat spam till they were sick of it.

14. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Hawaiians and Filipinos love spam. Spam even has a Monty Python song about it. The lyrics were quitte simple. "Spam, spam, spam, spam...." I think the Soviets were very grateful to get it.

Re: starvation of Soviets, Germans deliberately starved them to death. Should have recruited them as a Free Russian or Ukranian or what-not army with promise of free land and self-rule. Nazis were too racist and short sighted for that and I think something like 3 million Soviet soldiers starved to death b/c the Nazis wouldn't feed them.

15. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah read that too, not saying much for Russian rations. The Soviets had lots of supply problems keeping the troohttp://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/304293-replica-and-movie-tanks/page__st__20#tipshttp://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/304293-replica-and-movie-tanks/page__st__20#topmoster

16. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I'm fine with the canned foods, the chocolates and the candies. But I despised the eating utensils. Ain't no way those spoons could have fitted into my mouth when I was a kid.

17. Prospero Quevedo

Still remember 25cents and the three musketeers bar was huge and now 1.50-2.00 and not even half the size inflation sucks

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Some 500 years ago the Food was so salted the frontline fortress' guards had to drink some 5 liters of beer daily. Anyway, in ww2 I read that the frontline soldiers ate quite often before offensive the canned foods first because they did not know whether they were there to eat them in WW2. In the first place they were meant for the last resort

19. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

@Kai-Petri - what nation's front line troops ate canned stuff first?

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I read many Finns did eat the canned Foods before attacking because they believed they might not be there to use them later and you could take the replacements from dead comrades. Sorry for referring wrongly to several countries.
    Also during Winter they took the clothes off from dead soldiers and put the dead ones outside the bunkers where they waited to be shipped away

Riter likes this.