Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
  1. shanklin56

shanklin56 recruit

Can anyone identify this cap badge. I have searched books and sites with no luck. I also sent a picture to the main museum in london.It belongs to a relative of mine who was a Major, i know his surname and that is all. If i could find his regiment i could search the lists of fallen men because i know he died near the end of the war. My great aunt said she was married to him but she wasn't as she changed her name by deed poll.
    many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Hi and welcome to the forum:)

It looks quite similar to the Royal Army Dental Corps badge cipher, although to my mind it seems to have a 'K' in it and I can't find one without the surrounding wreath;

Could there have been a dental connection?

Edit; the Veterinary Corps cipher is similar also (second photo)

Perhaps on your photo it is clearer on the original if there is a wreath around the cipher or not?

The next closest items I found were Commonwealth - could there have been such a connection - particularly South African or Indian?

Perhaps with his surname we may find some info.

If nobody gets any closer here, you could also try this forum;
    http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/

sniper1946 likes this.
  3. shanklin56

shanklin56 recruit

Thanks Nigel
    they are certainly close but it does seem to have a K in it. All i know is he was Major James but a lot of our relatives were in India, so thats a possibility. My great aunt should have married and saved me all this trouble.
    thanks margaret

4. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I'm sorry had another dig around - found nothing better - I think it's probably worth giving the badge forum guys a try. There may still be someone comes online here over the weekend with ideas.

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

I've looked, and have asked elsewhere, hope to get an answer...

6. dazwilson

dazwilson New Member

That is not the capbadge of the royal army veterinary corps since 27 November 1918 we as a corps have been displaying the capbadge displayed on my profile picture (only difference is the royal crown) and prior the AVC had quite a similar badge with the over layer letters AVC wrapped in a loreal wreath.

Otto likes this.