Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Capt. John M. Stephens, Jr., 2nd ID

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by neffnan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. neffnan

neffnan New Member

I've been doing a lot of reading over the last 6 months in preparation for a trip I recently took to the Ardennes to visit the sites my Dad remembers from his service before and during the Battle of the Bulge. (Dad couldn't go because of ill health.)  In the course of that reading and from hearing my Dad's stories, I've become very interested in Capt. John M. Stephens, Jr., who was commander for part of the time of G Company, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd ID.  I've been able to find a little about him in Robertson's "Combat History of the Second Division During World War II", a mention of his DSC on the web (which gives his residence as in Tyler, Texas), but not much more. The lead to Tyler Texas has petered out. A link to his student maps was posted recently (one at https://www.benning.army.mil/library/content/Virtual/Donovanpapers/maps/StudentMaps/StephensJohn%20M/Map%20D.jpg"]https://www.benning.army.mil/library/content/Virtual/Donovanpapers/maps/StudentMaps/StephensJohn%20M/Map%20D.jpg[/url]).

Does anyone have any information about him? Was he career military? To whom in the Army would I write to find that out?

Thanks for any info you might have for a newbie to this research.

2. WARNACH

WARNACH Member

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

4. Doc Sausage

Doc Sausage Member

Hi

I first tried to join the site a while back to answer this question but spam problems etc meant me finally joining tonight so apologies for this being way late but there is a unit history of the 23rd that mentions Captain Stephens award of the Distinguished Service Cross for an action at Ondenval

I haven't worked out how to insert a working shortcut but this is where it is, or just go to www.lonesentry.com and search 23rd infantry

www.lonesentry.com/unithistory/23rd-infantry

Just out of interest I googled "23rd Infantry" and "Ondenval" and there is a monograph available for $5 from Abebooks to electronic download described as
    "The Operations of Company G, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division (Ondenval, Belgium), 15-20 January 1945 22 Pages1949 Personal Experience of a Company Commander" which sounds promising

Hope this helps
    Steve

O.M.A. likes this.