Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Capt. Murray Walker OBE

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Mar 13, 2021.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Legendary Formula One commentator Murray Walker has died aged 97, the British Racing Drivers' Club announced today.
    Walker, whose broadcasting career spanned more than 50 years, worked for the BBC and ITV, before he retired from commentating in 2001.
    Graeme Murray Walker was born in Birmingham to father Graham and mother Elsie on October 10, 1923.
    Graham was a prominent figure in motorcycling and enjoyed a 15-year career which culminated in him winning the prestigious Isle of Man TT race.
    'You either loved what your father did or you loathed it,' Murray explained. 'But my father was a great man, I was very fond of him, and I wanted to be like him.'
    But before Walker could attempt to emulate him, he was conscripted into the British army, aged 18. Walker soon graduated from Sandhurst's Royal Military College and went on to command a Sherman tank in the Battle of the Reichswald in World War Two.
    Walker reached the rank of captain but left the army in the years following the war and turned his attention back to two wheels."
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9358807/Former-Formula-One-commentator-Murray-Walker-dies-aged-97.html

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

R.I.P. Murray.

The now-legendary Hunt/Walker F1 commentary team will never be surpassed. MW was a true gentleman, and a great enthusiast who really knew his stuff.

Thanks for the memories.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Royal Scots Greys:
    EwYioq4XEAA2dGd.jpg

'Opal Fruits - made to make your mouth water!'... That was him.

You never seem to encounter anybody that ever met the man & didn't find him lovely.
    A good life.

GRW and Kai-Petri like this.