Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Captured German Photos - 1940 vintage

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ISUnorth, Jun 7, 2012.

1. ISUnorth

ISUnorth Member

Scanned half of the German photos my dad had. Don’t know where they came from or any story with them. First one has a caption on the back and a year “1940”. I think the others are probably same time period in France or Belgium. The Allied soldier is wearing a French or Belgian helmet.

Photo below and caption on back. 1940, maybe someone can translate, the script is too much for me to pick out letters other than what I think is “regiment”.
    View attachment 16707

Below, German treating wounded/injured French or Belgian soldier. I am guessing French or Belgian because it looks like a crest on the helmet.
    View attachment 16708

Germans with dead soldier. Again guessing this is Belgian? I once thought paratrooper but the series of photos doesn’t seem to fit a time period for that.
    View attachment 16709

German picture of downed and burned German plane. Looks like a transport when you see the size of it compared to the guys standing there. Maybe a Junkers JU 52?
    View attachment 16710

Attached Files:

Gebirgsjaeger and Slipdigit like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The landscape and architecture confirm this is Belgium in May 1940. The wounded man is a Belgian soldier (lion on his helmet). i'm not sure about the aircraft but the Ju52 seems possible.

Oh, yes the Germans are Flak soldiers (artillery unit)

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Given the framing remnant...id say it is indeed a 52.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The first picture was taken in France though.

the caption says: "Regiments übungsgabe in Granville August 1940". Which means Regiment training session in Granville August 1940.

Granville is on the Normandy coast and is facing the Island of Jersey .

[​IMG]

5. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

"Regiments übungsgabe" seems fishy to me. I would put my money on "Regimentsübergabe", the german word for change of command. Maybe Ullrich can chime in, he's a native speaker!

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

"Regimentsübergabe in Granville" is correct, means that one Regiment leaves and a other one will have to do their duties at there.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

good addition lads, I read übung instead of übergabe hence my translation of exercice. This being said , the changing of the guard must have been part of their daily drilling, they had not much else to do those days anyway.

8. ISUnorth

ISUnorth Member

The France of the first photo versus Belgium for the others makes sense. The France photo was with the others but printed in a different format so it wasn’t printed with the others. I have another four or so to scan and post, hopefully this evening. Fun to share these after they sat in a box with other old war photos and WWII German currency for decades.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad we could help. Maybe you found out which Flak Units were in Granville in August 1940

10. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That is a Ju-52. Wing flaps and tail give it away

11. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Hi,
    Pictures from Granville. Position of the FlaK and old pillbox.
    Situation : Pointe du Roc

Regards,

Eric View attachment 16714

Attached Files:

12. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't have anything to add, but I'm glad that others could help. Great photos. I'm happy you decided to share.

14. ISUnorth

ISUnorth Member

Here are a few more, two that can use some help with the German caption on the back. I’ll put the last two in the next post (five photo limit I have found!)

Bomb damage to railroad. German caption might help with location.
    View attachment 16717

Civilians and body in ditch. Caption mentions Paris. On road to Paris 1940?
    View attachment 16719

Dead horse and civilian cart. No caption but assume similar locale to cart and body photo.
    View attachment 16720

Attached Files:

15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Interesting photos. I'm sure one of our German speakers will help you out. Ulrich, where are you?

16. ISUnorth

ISUnorth Member

Here are the last two. Both have captions for the translators out there.

Dead horses that look like military cavalry by the saddles and blanket roll. German caption might shed some light on that.
    View attachment 16722

Picture of German soldiers with what I assume are French or Belgian gals. Caption translation will maybe help.
    View attachment 16724

Attached Files:

17. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The first one reads "Libramont Einschlag einer Stukabombe" = Libramont ( a town in the Belgian Ardennes) impact of a Stuka bomb.

The Second one reads "..sternay, südlich Paris. Heimkehrende Flüchtlinge" ..sternay, to the south of Paris. Refugees on their way home.

My best guess for the second town would be Esternay, there is a town with that name but it lies to the east of Paris.

18. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The first one reads "Fismes Beschlagene Kruppen" Fismes is a town in the french Champagne Ardenne region. But the rest of the text is a riddle to me. Both words are related to horses, "Beschlagen" means either that horse got horseshoes fitted or that the mare got mounted by a stud. The "Kruppe" is the rump of the horse........?

The second one reads "Stelldichein in Luxemburg. Gutes Einvernehmen mit der Bevölkerung." Rendezvous in Luxemburg, good understanding with the population.

I'm a little confused and upset about that last picture ;-)
    Most of the population wasn't happy at all about the german occupation and either the girls changed their attitude very fast or they ended up with a "boule à zéro" in september 1944. The town looks to me as being in the northern part of the country.

You can recreate the route of the soldier and the timeline of the pictures:

-Luxembourg
    -Libramont
    -Fismes
    -Esternay
    -Granville

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's Artenay on the N20 which is 100km south of Paris just south of Etampes. It's a crossroad with the Road Orleans-Paris and the road to Chartres. I know Artenay very well , it's a on the French wheat belt (in other words in the middle of nowhere) . You'll recognise the place easily because when you reach the cross road there is a 19th century windmill right next the trafic light. If you ever go there, visit the local VW dealer, he is a WW2 enthousiast and has restored a wonderful DAF Küblewagen and displays it for the public from time to time. Also there is a Patton monument at the crossroad because the 3rd Army was there in August 1944.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Hi,
    In 1940 the population is divided. There are resigned, opponents and pro-Germans.
    It should not be difficult to find people cheering German troops. Especially that German troops have only cross these areas without a fight and therefore without bringing desolation.
    And then, beautiful German soldiers did not have difficult to convince young beautiful girls to pose for a picture ...
    Anyway, beautiful translation of pictures anotations !
    regards,
    Eric