Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Carl, please help IDing a German award!

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Gebirgsjaeger, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Carl, (and others too)

Here are the pics of my 2 Grandpa´s awards.
    Shame on me but i could not clearly identify all of them. Especially the outer right one makes troubles. It seems to be a war merite cross from WWI, but which? Do you ( or anybody else) know exactly what i have?

Thank you in advance

Ulrich

Attached Files:

C.Evans likes this.
  2. Chef des Todes

Chef des Todes Flight Medic

First one is the WW1 Iron Cross. So I believe! I thought the 2nd was the knights cross. 3rd is uhhh. XD

3. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

The 2nd is the War Merit Cross w/Swords or the KVK mit Schwerten.

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks to both, but the second was the only one that i have exactly known! I dont know if the first one is the Iron Cross first or second class and absolutely nothing to the last one.

Regards

Ulrich

5. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

The first one is an Imperial EK2 (Iron Cross 2nd Class).

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks you for IDing! That one is from my Grandpa who served in both wars.

Regards

Ulrich

7. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

No problem Ulrich...now you need to track down a ribbon for it. If he fought in both wars it is likely that he would have had a combatants ribbon for his EK2.

Rich

8. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yes Rich he had it. It is somewhere around at my parents house and the´ll look for it.

Regards

Ulrich

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, the first one was IDed by the Gents above. The 2nd is the War Merit Cross W/Swords 2nd class. The last one is indeed imperial and definately is a Bavarian award. Its the Military Merit Cross, I forget which class? as there were several. The other higher grades would also have varying degrees of enamelling on it and also the medal itself could have I think either Silver or gold in part of its make-up. At one time, I was going o collect them but I only got around in geting the lowest class of that award. The enammeling I speak of on the higher grades of this award would have the center in white on the next level of the award with the lettering or whatever is in it in black, the next higher grade I think would have the blue enammeling on the arms of the cross.

I had two or three of these at onetime or another but gave them all away. The one here I THINK was awarded only to Enlisted man. The next higher grade was I think, only for NCOs, after that the ones with the blue enammeling on the arms were for Officers of differing ranks. I am not fully sure? but I do not think that NCOs were eligable for any that have the blue enammeling on the arms? I dont remember how many classes of this award there was? but I THINK there was also a Knights Cross of this cross as well as a Breast Star. Those would be only for higher ranking officers Generals, Field Marshals and Royalty serving in the Military.

I wish Andy were here? he could better answer anything on that award, as at least three of his relatives won the Pour Le Merite.

Hope this helps you out some my friend? ;-))

Ive always been partial to that award as well as the Franz Josef Cross-which has beautiful Red enammeling on it ;-))

10. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Carl,

thank you for your help! Now i know that al of this awards are from my other Grandpa not the Paratrooper. He was a Lieutenant with the Artillery in WWI and a Captain of the Pioneers at WWII. So now i have the close combat clasp of my other Grandpa and the Awards of him. Fine things!

Take care

Ulrich

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, quite welcome my friewnd and, when you can or fi you can? would is be possible to post pics of your other Grandpa from both wars?

12. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Carl,

if i can find some pics of him i will post them!

Take care

Ulrich

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you my friend and if you can post pics of his awards too? that will be great to see.

Take care--Carl.

14. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Carl,

of course! But it is possible that it will last a while till i found anything.

Take care

Ulrich

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, no problem and im not going anywhere anytime soon ;-)) Take care my friend-C.

16. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Good to know Carl!;-)

Take care

Ulrich

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi U/ I just had a brain storm. Now that I have a brand new cellphone, I can recieve pictures on it but dont know if i can send any? ANyway, if I can send pics? ill see if i can get one of my nephews to take some pice of my Mauser Sniper Rifle and my 1898 Krag carbine. Ill let you know more when i do.

Take care--C.

18. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

This would be great Carl! I like to see the Mauser Sniper. Those rifles are very rare over here and hard to find and the biggest problem is the pricing for them. They are starting at $ 3000 and going up to $ 5000-6000 depending on the maker, the year of making and the condition.

Take care

Ulrich

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi U/ ill see what I can do. Also, the last bid made on mine was for $25,000

20. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

I am waiting with two cold beers! Wow thats an really good price!

Regards

Ulrich