Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Carl's militaria collection part 1

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by volkbert, May 2, 2003.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Member

David -

Real quickly, before I have to head for work.

An Obergefreiter is roughly equivalent to a Lance Corporal, with an Unteroffizier, the next rank above Obergefreiter, more so equal to that of a Corporal.

Concerning his uniform, you can go any which way you would like with an Obergefreiter presentation, Army, Luftwaffe, Kreigsmarine, or SS. The only difference is, unlike the Army, and the Luftwaffe, the Kreigsmarine and SS displayed the same basic chevron, but just gave it a different title. I haven't sufficient time right now to look up the Kreigsmarine and/or SS titles, but can get back to you on that.

The word "Heer" means Army as in "Das Heer", or "The Army". Sometimes it gets confused with the term "Wehrmacht" which is a general term used for all of Germany's armed forces of the time.

Bill

[ 25. June 2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Bill Smith ]

2. David Barton (DB) Mathis

David Barton (DB) Mathis Member

Thanks again Bill, That cleared up some things I've been wanting to know. I'll try to look those things up but would love to hear more from your experience on the subject. I'm sure I'll have another ques. or 2.

Thanks again,

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

DB--again thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to help when I can and you will always get a good honest opinion from these guys here. [​IMG]

Oh and Bill os much more knowledgable on uniforms than I am but--i'll also try helping there as well when possible. [​IMG]

4. David Barton (DB) Mathis

Anyone have a photo of what a Heer Unteroffizier's uniform would have looked like? :confused:

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If i'm not mistaken--I think Volkbert and Bill both have Heer Enlisted/NCO tunics. Look at Bills mannequins in use thread--a few of his uniforms are posted in there.

6. volkbert

volkbert Member

David - Carl is right, I have two Unterofficier tunics in my collection. One is an early tunic, collecters call it a M39. The other one is tunic that was made later in the war, in 1943. Therefore collector's call it a M43. These are not the only models. There are plenty of other models.

This the M39, the badge on it is a fake Infantry abzeichen. In the meantime I replaced the abzeichen with a real one but I do not have a picture of that right now.

[​IMG]

7. volkbert

volkbert Member

And here is my M43 uniform. Can you see the differences with the M39? Look at the pockets and the collar!

[​IMG]

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Volkbert and others of tunic collections......was the M-44 the tunic without the lower pockets and pretty much a version similiar in length to the Panzer wraps ?

thanks

~E

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Member

Erich -

Yes, you are correct. The Army M44 pattern tunic was similar in appearance to the U.S. Ike jacket, or British battle dress. No lower pockets, no pleats on the upper pockets, mouse gray breast eagle, nothing fancy, just functional. Very tough to locate these days, although still obtainable,
    and expensive.

Volkbert -

I believe the early German Army model tunic that you speak of was designated the M36. Still a very fine example that you have there. Makes me wish I still had my Army collection, however, something needed to go to pay for my Luftwaffe interests, so all that stayed was my panzertruppen. By the way, just for historical purposes, my M36, infantry piped, when I purchased it in 1985 cost me $350 U.S. When I sold it in 1990 for $600 U.S. I thought the ceiling price was reached. I'll bet today, in 2003, the cost of an M36 tunic is higher yet.

Bill

[ 28. June 2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Bill Smith ]

10. David Barton (DB) Mathis

Thanks guys! [​IMG] And thank you Volkbert for the pics. I didn't know that the numbers meant years. What does the M stand for?

11. volkbert

volkbert Member

Bill you are right M36 is used for the model. However I see sometimes dealers refer to it as M36/39.

M stands for Model.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Volkbert--I really love the tunic in your first pic--if you ever wanna sell--tell me. :D

The other tunic is nice as well [​IMG]

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

bump

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

BUMP for the person wanting to see part of my collection.

15. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

those pics make me tight in the pants with excitment! D: