Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Casualty Branch of the War Office in London

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Perth Digger, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Perth Digger

Perth Digger New Member

I am trying to discover if the War Office established a casualty recording and reporting system in 1939 similar to that used in the First World War. I'm particularly interested in officer casualties. In the period 1914-1918 two branches were established in the Military Secretary's Office. One was MS 2 Casualties, responsible for receiving and publishing Other Rank casualty lists from the DAG's office in France. A sub-branch, MS 3 Casualties, received information on officer casualties direct from GHQ and 3rd Echelon (Base Depot) in France, which the sub-branch had to check against the Army Lists and personal records before MS2 Cas. sent out telegrams to NOK and to the newspapers.

Does anyone know, please, if a similar approach was taken in WW2? I have been unable to get any help from the NA catalogue.

Thanks

Mike

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm sure I can't answer your question. There are some here who might be of help, but you should post your query on our sister site ww2talk.com. They have a more British/Commonwealth focus and your question might be answered more quickly.

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  3. Perth Digger

Perth Digger New Member

Thank you. I'll do so.