Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Causualty lists for 362nd Sept 1944

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by ChrisBrown, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ChrisBrown

ChrisBrown recruit

Hi, I have a grave stone request for David Brown KIA 13th September 1944, 5Th Army, 362nd Regiment, Company F.

The 362nd was involved in the Attack on Futa Pass 10-21st September. Is there any place I can find documents like casualty lists or any piece of paper with his David's name on it or regarding action the 13th of September. I found this awesome web site which has some great info about Futa, the battle, and landmarks then and now.

Italy 2012

Ultimately I would like to try to understand what the typical 362nd soldier would have experienced that day, where they would have been and the characters involved.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Layla Strong and Arnoldnib like this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

As usual, Rog beat me to the HyperWar suggestion. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you have already come across these, but I'll post them anyway.

Lone Sentry has a brief history of the 91st Division. Chapter IV covers the Gothic Line and the taking of the Futa Pass by the 362nd.

Here is a news article on a WWII veteran of the 362nd recounting his experience going up the boot.

According to a post on another forum, there appears to be an active association for the 361st Infantry Regiment. They are hosting a reunion for WWII veterans of the 91st Division in Sept. 2013. I wasn't able to find a website, but there appears to be an email address in the post.

Speaking of the 91st, I found a photo slide show on YouTube that might be of interest:

[video=youtube;Jt6MVRozp_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6MVRozp_A[/video]

Otto likes this.
  4. ChrisBrown

ChrisBrown recruit

Thank you for this info. This is great!!! Really love the video. I can't help thinking that one of these might be him but I don't have any idea what he looks like.

Where might I find a yearbook? Did they have yearbooks? Where would they keep them? There has to be a military library where I might find a picture of him.
    Thank you both again. I really appreciate it.

5. TD-Tommy776

Unless someone else has a better suggestion, I would try the 361st Association contact in the last link in my previous post. Theirs was the only active association related to the 91st Division that I could find. I have no idea if they will be willing or even able to help, so it's a long shot. Also, I don't recall seeing a WWII era yearbook, so they might be a post-war thing. Maybe another member can confirm that. I have seen Company photos, but those often do not have the individuals named.

The other best thing you can do is actively post on the 362nd and keep checking back here. You never know when someone might find this thread and have info to share. It is rather common to see folks who have found threads on this Forum that are 1-2 years old or older because they are researching a family member's service in WWII. It pays to be persistent.

Layla Strong likes this.
  6. Layla Strong

Layla Strong New Member

I found the replies to this subject very interesting. My dad was in the 362 Infantry 91st division, 5th Army, company F. He wrote letters home about the fight on Hill 840 and these are the first articles I've seen that actually mention Hill 840. He did survive the battle but was injured.

He said "there were only 37 left in the company out of 180. I had many close calls that day. The Germans had us surrounded and our artillery put smoke on the hill so we could fight our way back out. I was carrying a litter case, or i mean I was carrying one corner of the litter at one time that day, when the boy just across from me was shot through the head, falling dead across the litter. We had to put a Jerrie in his place as we were short on men. We hadn't gone far when the Jerrie stepped on a mine blowing his leg off. About that time we had to start leaving men, as there was no one to carry them. So I was taking one of the prisoners, when darned if he didn't step on a mine, blowing his leg off too and getting me. Boy, what a day, and there were so many days like that. That was the last hill a lot of the boys seen."

I have a picture of my dad standing with his company, but I believe he changed companies a couple of times and as mentioned in another post, the names of the men are not written on the picture.

Earthican and Otto like this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi Layla. Great story. Can you post the picture? We'd love to see it.

8. Layla Strong

Layla Strong New Member

In regards to "yearbooks" of enlisted men; in Macon County Missouri which is where my dad enlisted there is a large hardback book with a red cover showing a picture of every enlisted man in the County, who his parents were, branch of service and other info. I don't know if this was unique to our County or our State or books like this were put together in other places.

I will scan the picture of his company today along with an article from "Stars and Stripes" written about the battle and will attempt to upload them.

9. Natman

Natman Member

Hello Layla,

While I've never heard of a book like you described, what a tool they would be for us researchers!!

You may be right that it was unique to the county. Please let us know what you find out about it.

Looking forward to your scans.

10. Layla Strong

Layla Strong New Member

I've been attempting to upload the picture and the article but even one at a time, it says they are too big of a file. I've tried uploading with less pixels and it still doesn't work. The article is hard to read as it is, so I hate messing with it too much. Dad had included it with one of his letters. He included cartoons and articles at different times. Is there another site that I could upload these that aren't so particular on size. I will continue to try to find a way. The picture is of 37 men standing on bleachers in dress uniforms I assume with no date, names or anything to identify even the year it was taken.

11. LRusso216

You can use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Image Shack. Load them there then just copy them into your post. I agree with Natman. I've never heard of a book like yours. Maybe just happened in your county. How many pages are there? Maybe you could post a few pages so we can get an idea.

12. Layla Strong

Layla Strong New Member

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/laylastrong/media/1120044b-25a3-42c2-9f18-75660c2c2aea_zps6592d5ec.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

See if that link works to the pictures. In the group picture my dad "Levi Austin Pillers" is the center of the back row (6th from left), so you can eliminate him from your list. The single picture of my dad was from that book I was telling you about so you can see the sort of info under each picture (his name spelled wrong). I don't have a copy of the book and my cousin scanned the pictures of all the Pillers boys who were in the service and sent those to me a year ago. I'm trying to get info from her about the size and the front of book and the copyright info. I've seen the book in person but its been awhile. It seems like it was at least 100 pages of thick paper with 4 pictures per page which seems like a lot for one county and makes me question if it did cover a larger area but there were 7 Pillers cousins all from one town. I'm sure the book exists in the county library too.

13. Layla Strong

Layla Strong New Member

My brother found our families copy of the Veterans book I was talking about. Its called:

SERVICE RECORD WORLD WAR I AND II MACON COUNTY COMMUNITIES (Missouri)
    Title page says: Sponsored by the AMERICAN LEGION POST No. 360, Callao Missouri
    It doesn't give the date published but I would assume it was around 1948 to 1950, it listed the Legion Officers for 1948.

I would hope other communities put together books like this and it might be worth checking out County Libraries for any books put out by the American Legion Posts during this period.

14. LRusso216

Your link works just fine. I can't document the existence of other books like this. A real treaure trove of information.

15. Layla Strong

Layla Strong New Member

I did find another one of the SERVICE RECORD WORLD WAR I AND II books Sponsored by the AMERICAN LEGION POST on Amazon of all places. Someone was trying to sell one for a community in Nebraska.

16. 91stTRNDIV

91stTRNDIV New Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. I found it due to your questions about the 91st Infantry Division (362nd) in WWII. I am the present 91st Training Division historian and I maintain the Division's museum and archives. We also hosted the 361st Infantry Associations last reunion in Sacramento, that you mentioned in September 2013. Unfortunately we do not have a whole lot in our archives on the 362nd INF Regt as there was not much of an association or group post WWII for this regiment that we know of. The 361st has had a close association almost ever since the war ended. They are having another reunion in New Orleans in September of 2015. If there is anything I can help with let me know.
    Respectfully,
    2LT Kevin Braafladt
    91st TRN DIV (OPS)
    PAO/ Division Historian

17. Earthican

Earthican Member

Sure it looks like I'm showing-off for the historian but I hit the motherload...

Searching for more information in the official history (Green Books) this all I found regarding the 362d Infantry at the Futa Pass. At least they were not alone in being written out of history -- the two regiments of the 34th ID are not even mentioned.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-MTO-Cassino/USA-MTO-Cassino-19.html
    Luckily the advantage to having a vain Army commander is that he will make sure a history is written. The several volumes and parts of the Fifth Army history are at CARL.
    http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013coll8/id/1553/rec/1

The 91st Division history with maps is at LoneSentry (Tommy found this but it's worth repeating).
    http://www.lonesentry.com/91stdivision/ch4.html

For mountain warfare, I love the GoogleMaps shaded-relief topo maps, here's a link to the nearst town. For terrain, zoom-out some, hover over the "Traffic" button, top-right -- wait -- click "Terrain" from the drop-down menu. Pan southeast to find "Marcoiano" which is also found on the 91st ID map.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=Monte+di+Fo%27&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x132ae16f33330377:0x4d6112a3c1440a6d,Monte+di+Fo%27+FI,+Italy&gl=us&ei=9aE9U_rUGePhyQGhrIGQAQ&ved=0CBwQ8gEoATAA

[​IMG]

Excerpt from Fifth Army history
    http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013coll8/id/1553/rec/1

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  18. TD-Tommy776

For some reason, I always forget about the Fifth Army history. I downloaded it from CARL some while ago and promptly forgot I had done so. :huh:

19. Josh Kaz

Josh Kaz New Member

Great pictures Layla, thank you for sharing!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019