Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Chanor Base Section

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Raymond Jr, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Raymond Jr

Raymond Jr Member

I'd asked about this in my other thread, Understanding Dad's Information, but it might have gotten overlooked over there, so I'll reask here if no one minds.

What was Chanor Base Section?

On October 16, 1945, well after the war was over but while my dad was still in Europe (he wouldn't return for three more months), he was transferred from the dwindling 549th AAA Battalion to "Hq Det[achment] Hq Chanor Base Section APO 562."

Chanor seems to be similar to the Communication Zone. Each had Base and Advance Sections but they sound more like geographic locations than organizations. I understand that the Communication Zone was involved with supplies and support and I know that Chanor operated a series of service stations for the units withdrawing from Germany after the war. Was that their exclusive role? To confound things further, I have a picture of Dad wearing a Communication Zone Advance Section patch on his shoulder. Was Chanor subordinate to the Communication Zone? Might Chanor Base Section be one of several Base Sections of the Communication Zone (although Dad's patch indicates he had a role in an Advance Section)?

Where can I find more about the structure of what was Chanor Base Section? There must be some organizational hierarchy. I've made a couple of trips to NARA St. Louis which is how I discovered Dad's transfer to Chanor Base Section. I'll be there again next week and I'd like to find the group he went to and read their morning reports.

Do any of you know anything about these organizations?

As always, thanks for your help.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Found this article which contains the following:

I hope that helps a bit.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I also found a PDF document on CARL that you can download. It has a section in which it discusses Chanor Base Section.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

5. Raymond Jr

Raymond Jr Member

Thanks, guys. That adds some perspective. I was expecting to learn that Chanor Base Section was made up of a number of regiments or battalions or campanies, but it still sounds like Chanor Base Section was just one big group with multiple responsibilities. I'll have to see what I can find in the morning report indices at NARA.

6. Camille Monfras

Camille Monfras New Member

Hello

I just found this brochure about a football game organized by the USRRA (United States Riviera Recreational Area) between the Chanor Base and th 4the Armored Division in Nice (France) on November 5, 1945.

Attached Files: