Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Charles "Chuck" Elliott

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by GeeDubayou, Sep 18, 2011.

1. GeeDubayou

GeeDubayou Member

Since joining the WWII living history group that I am a member of, I learned of a local man who served in WWII with the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion. His name was Charles Elliott, but everyone called him "Chuck".
    He was one of those guys who, didn't think of himself first before others, the reason he signed up to join the military was because he knew that there were people who needed help, and that was why he joined. He put complete strangers before himself.
    He lied about his age to get into the military, at that time, he was a big kid so they believed him, and he went overseas. Mr. Elliott was and always will be, one of our greatest heroes for Canada in the Second World War.
    He served in a wide array of conflicts in the war, he helped to liberate France and twice during the war he sustained injury. The first time he was injured he was shot in the legs and a medic had to sew up his big toe and he wanted to return to the fight, a second time, ended his time....He received multiple wounds from a machine gun in the torso and face, thankfully Mr. Elliott survived, he still wanted to fight but he was told he was unable to continue his service due to his injuries.
    He ended up becoming an instructor for Canadian jumpers and, when the Korean War rolled around, again, Mr Elliott knowing that people needed help he signed up to go overseas, but he was told he was unable to.
    It was unbelievable the amount of medals that Chuck received durving his service.
    I was heart-broken when I recieved an e-mail from a friend telling me that Chuck Elliott had passed away. Since learning about him and hearing his story from our founder of our living history group, I had wanted to meet this man and shake his hand and to thank him for what he did, and I felt the next best thing would be to attend his memorial service held by the Legion.
    Mr. Elliott had been cremated, so I said a silent thank you to his remains and left my Poppy on a cross the Legion made for him. It is nice to know that he is now resting in peace with his comrades.
    As a result of his heroic actions during the Second World War, the French government sent a person over to visit him in the Dartmouth General Hospital, and he presented to him, the French Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur

lwd likes this.
  2. Michelle McKnight

Michelle McKnight New Member

Do you have an email address which I can send a private email regarding Charles (Chuck) Elliott.

3. Glenn Williston

Glenn Williston New Member

Hi Michelle. Yes I do. geedubayou84@gmail.com