Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Check it out!!...After three years, my grandfather's shadowbox is complete!!!!!

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Bulge44, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

As I promised many moons ago, I have attached pics of my grandfather's shadowbox that has just been finished. Again, I started on this site about three years ago to obtain the info i needed to get my grandfather's miltary records and replacement medals. Of course due to the 1973 fire, I had to reconstruct his military file for the Army. After the Army provided me with an initial set of medals, I appealed their decision to get more of the medals he in fact had earned. After the Army granted some more medals but denied some others still, I filed a petition for reconsideration. The Army then granted me some more medals but still denied others in their decision. HOWEVER, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army overruled the Board of Corrections and granted me everything for which I had petitioned. As a side note, I had to scour the internet in order to get copies of General Orders that awarded my grandfather certain awards/medals. I contacted, amongst others, the NPRC, the National Archives, the Pentagon Library, and even a private contractor who copied general orders for the government.

I'd like to thank the countless number of members who shared thier knowledge and assisted me in getting the proper documents in order for me to complete my project. I now have my grandfather's personnel file, what there is of it, his IDPF file, and all the After Action Reports for his unit for the time he was in the ETO. My next step is getting unit rosters and the morning reports. I have found countless journals and interviews at the National Archives, but the $3k price to get all of that is a bit steep right now.

As for my grandfather, he was a Private in the 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He entered the ETO in September 1944 and was killed on the 2nd day of the Bulge, December 17, 1944. His unit was in reserve at the Elsenborn Ridge when the Battle broke out, and his battalion went to provide support to the 99th Division, which was taking the brunt of the German Offensive. After arriving on the night of the 16th, my grandfather's unit dug into the frozen ground for the night, preparing for the next day's fight. My grandfather was killed the next afternoon after his unit gave a great fight but an onslaught of Tiger tanks and German infantry eventually overran their position. As they were being overrun, my grandfather and several others chose to provide cover to the rest of the retreating unit, knowing full well that that decision sealed their fate. The actions of his unit that day earned his unit the Presidential Unit Citation, the Belgian Fourragere (after being cited twice by the Belgian gov't), and for my grandfather, the Silver Star. My grandfather's actions, and those of several of the men in his unit, to stay and provide cover for his unit were documented on the front cover of the January 1945 Stars and Stripes. After obtaining a pdf copy of the paper from the Stars and Stripes themselves, I finally found, after nearly a four year search, an original copy of the paper on eBay. I have it proudly hanging in a beautiful glass frame on my wall.

My grandfather was buried in Belgium for three years, and then he was brought back over to the states. I have the burial flag. My next step is to get the flag somehow mounted with the shadowbox.

Well, i hope you enjoy the pics. This was nearly a three year venture for me, and it has been so rewarding. AND it would not have happened without the assistance of the great members on this site. Thank you again. (As a side note, I think my next project is going to be petitioning the government to upgrade my grandfather's Silver Star to that of the Distinguished Service Cross. I have some contacts with a Congressman and firmly believe it's worth a shot. As always, any opinions or advice on this new project are greatly welcomed.)

View attachment 17023

Attached Files:

Gunney, macrusk, Buten42 and 12 others like this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Nicely done!

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Great work there, superb display! Your Grandfather would be so proud of your effort.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I just looked up the word "tenacity" in the dictionary and I think it has your picture next to it. Well done! As Clint said, your grandfather would be proud of your efforts.

I find it unbelievable that it should be so difficult to get the Army to acknowledge all the medals that your grandfather deserved. On the other hand, it is completely believable that the bureaucracy that is the modern Army would be that difficult to deal with. Good on you for not taking "No" for an answer. :D

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Outstanding ! Without a doubt your Grandfather's standing Proud. Excellent job.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Well done! This box is well worth the effort.

7. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

Thanks for all the great comments everybody. Three things I taught myself in this long journey were patience, keep plugging along, and if you want to get something done don't procrastinate, start it today, you're not getting any younger and before you know it, it'll be too late......By the way, my grandfather had two brothers in the War as the same time. One of them is still alive and kicking. I have corresponded with him over the last three years. He was with 1st Infantry Division. He was in in it from Morocco, to Tunisia, to Sicily, to Normandy, to Northen France, to the Rhineland and right through to the occupation of Germany. He was in the area of the Battle of the Bulge when he learned of his brother's passing. He recognized what I was doing to preserve not only our veterans' history and experiences, but also my family's. He was kind enough to give to me the last surviving part of his old uniform: his Ike jacket. I have attached a photo for everyone. It's in mint condition. View attachment 17033 .jpg]

Attached Files:

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Yessir, The Big Red One. Great photos thanks again for sharing.

9. TD-Tommy776

Great photos! I notice that he earned another stripe since his photo wearing the Ike jacket. :D

10. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

And therein lies the reason I joined this website, the attention to detail!!..........He left the War as Technical Sergeant, and was promoted to Master Sergeant in 1949.......

11. TD-Tommy776

We are a curious bunch... and I mean that in ALL respects. :D

I do have a question. When you were denied certain medals, did they give a reason and then you resubmitted your request with more info or did you just appeal challenging their judgment as to whether there was sufficient evidence to approve the medals? I hope that makes sense. Essentially, I'm curious about the details of the process.

12. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

View attachment 17040
    So what do you think about my next project of petitioning to have my grandfather's Silver Star upgraded to a DSC?..........I'll attach a copy of the Citation for context.....

Attached Files:

13. TD-Tommy776

Well, I'm no expert on the awarding of WWII medals. However, I do believe that if anyone can get it done, you can. :)

Just a thought, though. It might help to find a DSC write up that is comparable to your grandfather's SS write up in terms of the circumstances.

14. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

Yeah, one step ahead of you...... i've been online looking them up. I was researching the petitions that were looking to upgrade to the Medal of Honor. I figure if I can compare the actions with someone trying to get a MOH, then I can make a very strong argument for an upgrade to the DSC.....Two years ago I joined the local branch of the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge. My neighbor is also a member, he hit Normandy on D-Day +11..........long story short, I met a retired Lieutenant Colonel from the Iraq war at one of our luncheons who indicated that he had connections to the local congressman, which is what you need to make such a petition. The congressman is on the Armed Services Committee and is an ex-marine.........i think it's a good start.....

15. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Two things:
    #1: When you address the Congressman refer to him as a "Marine" or "Former Marine" never and "Ex-Marine"
    #2: While your grandfather's actions were no doubt gallant he did nothing to distinguish himself from the rest of his squad. Chances are your grandfather's squad leader was awarded the DSC. Look at this link: Brécourt Manor Assault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, you would need to prove that your grandfather's service was "distinguished" from the other's in his squad; was it?
    Another award you might look at for comparative citations is The "Navy Cross".

16. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

What about calling him Former Jughead?.....Thanks for the advice. Need to make a good first impression, and that info helps......

As for "distinguishing himself", I thought about that and my argument would be that the rest of his squad, his battalion, and regiment, not even saying anything about the men of the 99th Division, were all retreating in the face of an overwhelming assault of numerically superior tanks and infantry. However, he chose NOT to retreat and instead provided cover for those that were retreating. The stand that the 23rd Infantry Regiment made allowed the rest of the 2nd Infantry Division and the rest of the 99th Infantry Division to come south from the Roer Dams and form a defense at the Elsenborn Ridge. If the 23rd had not made a stand, the German offensive would have cut off the two divisions from the rest 1st Army, which would have been devastating. It was one of the turning points in the Battle. Not unlike that, my grandafather's actions allowed the rest of his unit to retreat and regroup to form part of the defense which stopped the German offensive at the Ridge. I give some context here because I think i can argue that not only was his actions distinguishable, but they came at a time of such great importance in one of the most vital battles of the war. .....I concede that since my grandfather was accompanied by a handful of other brave souls who chose to stay and not retreat, and an argument can be made that he did not distinguish himself. BUT I would not compare his actions to theirs but compare his to the retreating units.........
    As for the squad leader getting the DSC, I have not come across that, and I have read no less than 10 books and countless first hand accounts of the 23rd's fighting during the first days of the Battle. As a note, the 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Battalion did receive the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions that day, as well as being cited by the Belgian gov't.
    Finally, as for comparing citations, there were two MOH recipients who were awarded the Medal for their actions that day right in the same area as my grandfather. One of them was Jose Lopez, who was of the 23rd Inf Regiment as well. Here is his citation, you see some similarities about the retreat (by the way, my grandfather was in Company K, that is mentioned in the citation)?
    Jose M. LopezRank and organization:Sergeant, U.S. Army, 23d Infantry, 2d Infantry DivisionPlace and date:Near Krinkelt, Belgium, December 17, 1944Entered service at:Brownsville, TexasBorn:Santiago Huitlan, VeracruzG.O. No.: 47, June 18, 1945Citation:On his own initiative, he carried his heavy machinegun from Company K's right flank to its left, in order to protect that flank which was in danger of being overrun by advancing enemy infantry supported by tanks. Occupying a shallow hole offering no protection above his waist, he cut down a group of 10 Germans. Ignoring enemy fire from an advancing tank, he held his position and cut down 25 more enemy infantry attempting to turn his flank. Glancing to his right, he saw a large number of infantry swarming in from the front. Although dazed and shaken from enemy artillery fire which had crashed into the ground only a few yards away, he realized that his position soon would be outflanked. Again, alone, he carried his machinegun to a position to the right rear of the sector; enemy tanks and infantry were forcing a withdrawal. Blown over backward by the concussion of enemy fire, he immediately reset his gun and continued his fire. Single-handed he held off the German horde until he was satisfied his company had effected its retirement. Again he loaded his gun on his back and in a hail of small arms fire he ran to a point where a few of his comrades were attempting to set up another defense against the onrushing enemy. He fired from this position until his ammunition was exhausted. Still carrying his gun, he fell back with his small group to Krinkelt. Sgt. Lopez's gallantry and intrepidity, on seemingly suicidal missions in which he killed at least 100 of the enemy, were almost solely responsible for allowing Company K to avoid being enveloped, to withdraw successfully and to give other forces coming up in support time to build a line which repelled the enemy drive.

17. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You might read the citation again and you'll notice that his entire squad stayed in their positions and all were listed as MIA.
    Again, I am not trying to take away from what your Grandfather did; but, you need to recognize that much better men than you and I reviewed his recommendation for the Silver Star and they decided it was appropriate.
    As far as the "Lopez Citation" he acted alone and under his own volition and that was the distinguishing character of his actions.

18. Bulge44

Bulge44 Member

Don't worry about being critical, that's what i am looking for ....i need to address all the issues and or weak points of my petition before I file it.....
    As for the citation, if you read it, it does not say that they all "stayed" in their positions, it says that they all are "MIA"...........his squad was being overrun and presumed killed....i don't think you can presume that all the MIA infantryman chose to "stay", but rather they were MIA because of the battle itself........above, i attached the Stars and Stripes article about their actions that day...presumably, there were six others who "stayed" to cover the retreating infantryman.......I get what you are getting at, and again I agree that it would be easier to argue if my grandfather was alone, but I think the fact that virtually everyone else was retreating is a huge factor to use to distinguish him..................as for the Lopez citation, you mention that he acted on his own volition, one factor I would argue would be not only did my grandfather act on his own volition, but he refused an order to retreat....with the well documented lack of ammunition and firepower, my grandfather's decision was clearly made with an understanding that he would not survive his decision to stay....unlike Lopez, my grandfather left his foxhole not with a machine gun full of ammo, my gandfather left his foxhole swinging the butt of his gun and engaging in hand to hand combat.....again, not taking anything from Lopez of course....

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wow! That is excellent! Thanx for sharing this with us. :)

20. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Incredible stuff!! From someone who is working on a similar shadow box project, I thank you for your perseverence and resilience--it give me impetus to keep slogging along, collecting bits and pieces at a time. Nicely done.