Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Check this out

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Greg A, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Greg A

Greg A Member

I was looking at the 100th Bomb Group web site and they had a mission with the formation and crews and their status. The last page shows the formation they flew. Looks like the left side got shot to pieces.
    100th BG over Ruhland

Greg

[ 25. July 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Greg A ]

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This was indeed 'one of the Hundredth's bad days' and merits two full pages of accounts in the book 'Century Bombers'.

The Luftwaffe put up an 'estimated 500 fighters' and the 'low' element of B-17s was almost completely wiped out.

One story gives an insight into the strain and personal tragedy involved in flying such missions - a strain which we can hardly begin to imagine -

In the 'high element' was B17 42-97806 piloted by Lt Charles Baker. Struck by a number of 20mm shells, a fuel tank exploded, the wings collapsed and the fuselage broke in the middle. Three men bailed out - Lt Baker was not among them.

Already written in the Squadron Orders for the next morning was the following :

'Lt Baker is disqualified from all further flying duty. He is to proceed forthwith to Army Air Force Station 101 for purposes of observation and treatment'.

Said a fellow Group member :

'It seems apparent that reasons for grounding Lt Baker had been discovered and the process was in motion to so act prior to his final flight.

The orders came a day too late.'

[ 26. July 2003, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

3. AndyW

AndyW Member

I'm virtually flying "Boss Lady" (100th BG, 350th BS, Serial-# 42-102657 on the B-17 Mighty Eight simulation, and the Ruhland mission was the last for "my" Lady, though "my" historical crew (Lt. Shelly / Lt. Lambert crew) completed her tour of duty more or less save on 25/07/44 after 35 missions. Lt. Shelly was WIA in his 24th moission (falaise, 6/6/44), so he came back to duty 24/8/44, one month after his original crew completed her tour just early enough to be shot down over Ruhland and become POW.

Strange, playing that game for many hours, you'll start to identify yourself a little bit with those men and really feel responsible, even though it's just a simulation.

Cheers,