Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Chris Finney GC

Discussion in 'Military History' started by No.9, Oct 31, 2003.

1. No.9

No.9 Ace

The George Cross, one of Britain’s two highest awards for bravery, was awarded to Trooper Chris Finney [​IMG] , Household Cavalry, Blues and Royals, for conspicuous gallantry in rescuing several of his comrades from their burning Scimitar light tank while under fire, and returning again to radio a report.

Aged 19, Chris is one of the youngest recipients of the GC. The vehicles were attacked from the air while on patrol in the vicinity of Basra, Iraq, during the current conflict. His medal citation praises his; “courage and devotion which was out of all proportion to his age and experience. Acting with complete disregard for his own safety even when wounded, his bravery was of the highest order”.

Despite the fact that Chris is a soldier and his acts took place whilst on patrol in a military engagement, he was awarded the civilian George Cross as opposed to the military Victoria Cross. The reason is that the Victoria Cross requires conspicuous gallantry in the face of the enemy, and Chris’s Scimitars were attacked by Uncle Sam’s Flying Circus?

?????????

No.9

2. Greenjacket

Greenjacket Member

Heartiest congratulations to Trooper Finney, an award well deserved.

I can't help feeling bitter though, that the USAF created the situation in the first place.

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Thumbs up for Pte. Finney!
    [​IMG]

Do you think he would have been awarded a VC :vc; instead if he would have been killed? :confused:

4. No.9

No.9 Ace

I don’t think so Freddy. In fact, I think had he been killed he may have got a lesser award or even no award at all! My reasoning is, would they (Phoney Blair’s establishment) have wanted to draw more attention than necessary to the incident, and, risk further embarrassment to our ‘allies’?

Anyway, what matters most the man's alive. [​IMG]

No.9

5. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Well said no 9 and great respect and congratulations to Trooper Chris Finney a true modern day hero.

Might be nice to see Becks and some of the other so called Modern day heroes show the young man a bit of respect !!!

Was Finney the one who after the action made the Cowboys on a jolly comment ??

Paul