Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Churchill Memorabilia Found in Jigsaw Box

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 3, 2020.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

What a find!
    "A fascinating collection of Winston Churchill memorabilia, including instructions on where to pick him up and rare photos was discovered in a jigsaw box after it was about to thrown away.
    The items belonging to Reginald Parker, personal chauffeur to the British PM during World War Two, were found by a 60-year-old clerk who was clearing his cupboards and drawers while he was on furlough.
    The collection is up for auction and is expected to fetch up to £350 when it goes under the hammer on July 16-20.
    The incredible collection includes Post Office telegraphs and instructions from 10 Downing Street and the MET dictating when and where the Prime Minister must be picked up.
    One note says: 'The Prime Minister will arrive tomorrow by air at Hendon Aerodrome. Please have police car in readiness.'
    The memorabilia also includes black and white photos of Mr Parker, including one of him sitting behind the wheel of Churchill's limousine.
    The owner of the archive, who did not wish to be named, said: 'I'm on furlough and I've been sorting out cupboards and wardrobes.
    'I saw a jigsaw box in my study and just thought it was one of my many jigsaws.
    'But, when I opened the lid, I found the archive. I'd forgotten all about it.
    'I saved it from going to the tip during a house clearance in the late 1990s."
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8487379/A-collection-Winston-Churchill-memorabilia-discovered-jigsaw-box-thrown-away.html