Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Churchill Opinion Piece in the Post

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by KJ Jr, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Agreed. I was also amazed that in the early 1800 or so in the US it was voted what is the main legal language. Think if German language had won...just came to my mind here.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

You misconstrue the argument...If German had won...The laws of the US would have been printed& distributed in English and German...You see that was the question being discussed - Printing the laws in two languages, not to give the German language any "official" standing.

The rest is myth and legend.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

There is a paradox in Churchill's actions. One of the big things he did to win WW2 was to sell the British side of the story to the US. Churchill and Rooseveldt came up with the ideology to rally the democratic world.under the banner of the United nations. . The Atlantic Charter, the four Freedoms and the United Nations saw off both fascism and communism and form the basis of the modern world.

At the same time they undermined the legitimacy of the British Empire and were an inspiration to the colonized. I don't know how Churchill managed to reconcile championing the principles of the Atlantic Charter with defending the British Empire. Holding two contradictory positions at the same time is common in, but not exclusive to, politics. Alanbrooke wrote of Churchill that he was like an artist who would focus on a tiny patch of the canvas at a time, without stepping back to see the whole picture.

There is also the political device of deliberate ignorance, as per the West Wing. Churchill the Conservative politician might have seen the principle of self determination as an anathema, but Churchill the war leader, could see the benefits of manifesto that would unite the free world as well as his own coalition of the British left and right, and was a redline for his ally FDR.

So WSC could proclaim that we were fighting for the rights of people to have self determination :without willingly accepting that that also applied to those native to British Africa and Asia.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    belasar and KJ Jr like this.
  4. lwd

lwd Ace

It's going to take a bit more than just your opinion to convince many (any one) of this. Facts and logic please.
    That's within your rights but don't expect agreement if you don't support it.
    News flash .... They did.
    As I said above they did and he is.