Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Clint Walker

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, May 22, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

According to this, he was in the Merchant Marine on the last months of the war, which is why it's here-
    "Clint Walker, who flexed his considerable brawn — but only when he had to — as a gentle giant on Cheyenne, the landmark 1950s Western that aired for seven seasons on ABC, has died. He was 90.
    Walker, who also starred in such films as Send Me No Flowers (1964), None But the Brave (1965) and the World War II classic The Dirty Dozen (1967), died Monday from congestive heart failure, Walker's daughter Valerie told TMZ.
    With a chiseled 6-foot-6, 250-pound physique that showed off a 48-inch chest and 32-inch waist, the rugged, blue-eyed Walker was often hired for Westerns and action work. He was tough (and lucky) off the screen as well: He survived a 1971 skiing accident at Mammoth Mountain in California in which his heart was punctured by a ski pole and he was pronounced dead.
    In 1955, Walker was cast by Warner Bros. in TV’s first-ever hour-long Western as Cheyenne Bodie, a principled cowboy drifter in the post-American Civil War era who was raised by the Cherokees who killed his parents. Cheyenne, produced by Roy Huggins of Maverick and Rockford Files fame, started out as part of Warner Brothers Presents in a rotation with the movie spinoffs Casablanca and Kings Row.
    “I think they had all the leading men available in Hollywood to test for Cheyenne two days in a row, and they had me test with them,” Walker recalled in a 2012 interview with the Archive of American Television. “The first day I was very, very nervous. I could see all these people that I’d seen in pictures over the years and I thought, ‘I don’t stand a chance.'
    “The second day, I thought, ‘I’m not going to get the job anyway so why don’t I just relax and enjoy it,’ which I did. Then the next thing I heard about four days later was Jack Warner reviewed all the stuff, pointed to me and said, ‘That is Cheyenne.”
    In 1958, Walker, now a household name, went on strike in a contract dispute, and while he was away, Warners replaced him with Ty Hardin as a character named Bronco Layne. When Walker returned to the series in 1959 after his deal was renegotiated, Hardin was given his own show. Cheyenne ran for 103 episodes until December 1962.
    Walker, a baritone, also sang on Cheyenne, and the studio produced a 1959 album, Inspiration, with Walker and the Sunset Serenades performing traditional songs and ballads.
    Norman Eugene Walker, a twin, was born May 30, 1927, in Hartford, Ill. He fashioned his own weights out of concrete, joined the Merchant Marine at age 17 and toiled on a riverboat, in a paper mill and in an oil field. Working security at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas, he met show-business types who encouraged him to try his luck in Hollywood."
    Clint Walker, Star of 1950s TV Western 'Cheyenne,' Dies at 90

rkline56 likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I remember him from the dirty dozen from the story that he killed a man with one punch...drove his jaw into his brain...looking at him, you can believe it! But I remember him best as Tarzan...
    [​IMG]

rkline56 likes this.