Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

CNN on Erich's ordeal...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Stevin, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

It's sobering to think that here in the UK we can't even begin to imagine what this must be like...... :(

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Let's hope evrything goes fine...

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hi guys and thanks for your best wishes !

I have to admit that our area is somnewhat mis-informed as to what is really happening as you all overseas and in America may know better what is going on than myself. Th whole thing has been mishandled from the very start with monitoring this thing at 150 acres and letting it burn. finally after the last blow up at over 10,000 acres overnight things started to change in our state governship, and he finally released workers from northern orewgon and Helicopters to our aid. You see we here in southern Oregon from Roseburg to our north at 70 miles down to our south at the California border are never represented in state affairs. One reaon why northern California and our area to Roseburg have talked about a seperate state since 1960 called Jefferson.
    anyway last heard from two days ago and the updates have been slow, the firefighters claim they are getting ahead of the fire at 5 % containment which is nothing in reality. The fires yesterday had not merged as they thought but are less tahn a mile from each other in very uneven and steep terrain. The mileage covers more than 30 miles right now from an odd north to south direction. Currently it is running without any control to the north west and the coast, less than 4 miles from a beautiful resort town called Agness on the Rogue river. They say they will stop it here but the terrain is just plain rugged ..... I live 25 miles to the east from the closest hot spot of fire and I can see the plumes from my front door. There had been a 30 minute evacuation notice if needed and now has been moved to a two hour evac notice if given. people are still pouring into our valley with livestock, but fortunately nothing seems to be overidden yet with increase of auto/truck traffic along the narrow stretch of road to our west.......
    the possiblity still exists for extreme destruction as it is suppose to get back from the odd 70 F temps to typical summer heat at 95 degrees plus by Friday. if that is the case then humidity will be nil and we will get back to late afternoon winds which may force the fires over the protective line. This we pray that it does not happen. IF and I mean if it happens then within 2 weeks my town will be surrounded by west, south and north fires and we will have to evacuate.......we pray not ! Rain will prayerfully happen as it was suppose to been here today and tomorrow but weather as it is changes and it appears not for at least one week or longer.

E

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

well last heard 10 minutes ago.....285,000 acres and growing especially to the north. "Our final stand will be the Rogue river !" How stoic ! morons !! :mad:

E

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I thought Oregon was famous for rainy weather???!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!? What happened to it all???

As a good side note. I talked with a Co-cola delivery driver I know--who happens to be in the Nat'l Guard--he says his unit has been activated and is slated to go to Oregon to help with fighting the fires. They are due to leave I think in about a week.

[ 05 August 2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

It's almost comical Carl. Most of the rain in the spring/summer months lies to the north 175 miles and beyond as happened this weekend. Our weather patterns closely resemble northern California's.
    Well he will well covered with an international crowd here as we have fighters from all over the world now. What a crazy way to have your community up on the lights of the news stations ! There's enough woods here to be had by all. Most of it blackened......can you tell I'm a bit pissed ? ;)

E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I would be too, and its embarassing that there are frefighters from all over the world--helping the worlds richest community out. Usually its visa-versa.

9. Martin Bull

Carl - wow - that's something I never thought of ! Mobilizing Coca-Cola delivery drivers ! :eek: I knew the USA was resourceful, but....

If you can get those people from Pepsi, Seven Up, Gatorade, Sprite etc in on the act those fires should be drowned in no time....... [​IMG]

( No offence, Erich. I know it's no laughing matter but this did sound funny )

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I was trying to behave and being mature, but now... Thanks, Martin... :D

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

He Martin--you forgot to add the Nestle Chocolate and Borden Milk men ;) :D

12. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

What about all the men in the beer industry? :D

But what are you planning to do? Use those workers as firefighters or stinguishing the fire with all those drinks?! :confused: If you are planning to do the last, don't use companies that produce vodka and brandy... :D

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Well it looks as though we are now in pretty safe territory but the fire now is moving to the north and west threatening the coastal mountains anc communities.

I am hopeful the food personell stay home as we have had some clowns try to get people to evacuate so they could steal their belongings and farm animals. Two guys have been caught already as well as 2/3 firefighters from the Midwest who have rummaged through burned homes and were caught stealing items......bozo's ! :confused: I really question the motives of some of these people from out of state.....

E

14. Martin Bull

That's a real shame - one despairs of human nature, sometimes... :mad:

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The cleanest I can keep this: "I hate ALL thieves" :mad:

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Latest dog poop from my end of the sphere.....

296,000 acres this morning but probably at this point over 300,000 ! largest fire in southern Oregon in the 20th century. Kalmiopsis wilderness is basically toast. The fires (3) of them have now merged as of last night and is called the Florence fire project. The monster has moved north and west towards the coastal communities and is 1 mile from the resort of Agness, which is starting evacuate.....maybe this is why I am frustrated. Rugged country blessed with abundant wild-life and it will be gone in a weeks time. The fire fighters need to surround this thing with at least another 150 miles of fire-line and since it is suppose to heat up again into the high 90's/100's over the next week and a half, the inversion layers will be at ground level and humidites a complete 0, so it's going to be tough. Glad I'm leaving Monday morn for the California mountains.....ah 11,000 plus feet here I come !! Suppose though when I return the air quality will be un-real and a surgeons mask will be required attire.... :mad:

E

17. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Miserable Cretin

Erich,
    I've never seen anything remotely like that here in the East. Unimaginable tragedy: there's no news about it!
    I noticed your thread about binoculars and posted some pictures for you on the "Militaria" section.
    KT

18. Martin Bull

I'm trying to think of a way to export some of our weather to you, Erich.
    After a few really hot days, NW London suddenly had two-thirds of its' usual August rainfall in one 20-minute storm yesterday, with roads and basements flooded, sewers bursting, cars and buses stranded..... :eek: :( :rolleyes:

[ 09 August 2002, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

19. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Miserable Cretin

I was reading about the Western fires in general, and how people growing fields of marijuana were beginning to panic as the fire front approached them. With all sorts of local and Federal fire/law/whatever personel around, they decided to set fire to their crops rather than risk getting caught. Apparently, the size of these farms has been seriously underestimated, and their intentional destruction has contributed in to the disaster in general.
    P.S.
    I have decided to adopt the image of Luftwaffe unit III./JG 52--for reasons which are fairly obvious. I'll be using it as my signature rather than bothering with the whole avatar-thing (which is really kind of a nuisance.)
    We'll see if the image pops up....

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Cool dues ! Well it's over 308,000 acres now with 20 % contained......ha !

Wish we could get some rain Martin but that happening will probably be in the form of a thunderstorm if we get any this next week or so.
    The pot situation has been one of the areas best kept secrets, in fact the town of Cave Junction and a 50 mile radius has been known as some of the best dope growing areas in the wrold since the mid 1960's. Elaborate screening and defensive mechanisms have been put in place. I know this because of running across two of them back in the 1970's actually lost on the job. Booby traps, minefileds, trip wires camo netting, you name they have it. The pot is called Rogue Gold, named after the famous cheese here. The pot fields are burning up thanks to natures way of clensing the earth........oh, too bad dopers !!

E