Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Co A 1st Bn 141st Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Div, "The Lost Battalion"

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by pat.simpson, Sep 15, 2009.

1. pat.simpson

pat.simpson recruit

I am trying to locate an official roster of the members of the Lost Battalion of WWII (i.e., A/1/141 Inf/36th ID). Can anybody advise me on where to find it?

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Dont know about rosta..but are we talking of 2nd bn with 131 artillery? 36 div? Texans? If so prisoners of the japanese by gavin daws is full of refs to them. Sorry im a brit dont know if this is even same unit. Us houston guys shared their pow camps?

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

formerjughead likes this.
  4. urqh

Try the lost battalion association texas military museum web site.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

How do you lose an entire Infantry Battalion? it's not a set of car keys for God's sake. I can imagine Gen. Marshall rambling around his office muttering to himself: "they were here just a moment ago"

seriously this link that Lou gave you:

141st Infantry Regiment

has a contact e-mail. They were able to give me a copy of the company roster for "I" Co. 3/ 141st........may dad's unit.

For the life of me I can not find the persons e-mail address anymore.

Brad

Okay I found what I was looking for:

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/36division/archives.htm

http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-general/9799-36th-division-story-some-unique-info.html

the person I contacted that was able to get me the roster is actually a member of this forum :

Steve Schaeg: http://www.ww2f.com/members/steve-schaeg.html

Brad

6. urqh

And ive just found summit in search.. I knew id responded to similar last year... You yanks.. Dont you use carrier pigeons or carry a torch? You did same in ww1.. Wasnt same bn was it?

7. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

Maybe I flushed them down the toilet by accident.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

No, the WW1 battalion was Ricky Schroder's....

9. OperationDOGFACE

OperationDOGFACE recruit

Pat

Hello!

There is no completed list/roster that I have been able to locate, so far.

Accordingly, I set out to compile such a roster. I have been compiling that list for quite some time.

So far, I have most of ABLE company, CHARLIE Company, and neary all 14 men of Weapons Platoon, DOG Company. There is much work/research to be done to complete BAKER Company.

It is a work in progress. Much information came from my father's papers, After Action Reports, Morning Reports, and post-war correspondence with members of the Lost Battalion - 1/141.

Best regards,

Michael P. Higgins
    Son of Captain (then 1st Lt) Martin J. Higgins
    Acting Commander "Lost Battalion"
    24 - 31 October 1944
    1st Bttn, 141st Inf Regt., 36th Inf. Div
    Trapin des Saules, Foret de Champ, Vosges Mtns.
    Alsace, France

Slipdigit likes this.
  10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Would you being willing and able to post the names, Dogface?

11. 36thID

36thID Member

Greetings To All,

Yes my uncle was in the 141st he was in Cannon Co.

275 men of 1st battalion were trapped behind enemy lines on a hill overlooking La Houssiere, France.

For 6 long days these men fought off German attacks and starvation. Regimental Artillery ( I think my uncle was involved ), tried to fire suplies to the brave men but it feel short. Finally after risking exposure to the enemy the men set off smoke grenades and were supplied by the air drops of XII TAC in spare gas tanks on the fifth day.

After seeing the air drops the German mounted a fierce attack the next morning. Later that afternoon, the men were saved by members of the very proud and brave 442nd Niese RCT that had been fighting to reach them for days. Contact with the 141st was finally made on October, 30, the afternoon of the sixth day. Incredible that out of these 275 soldiers, 54 were KIA and 156 suffered wounds. ( From the 141st Historical Summary )

I have 2 very good friends in France that are well respected by us at the 36th Division Association. One is an expert on this subject. He has been trying to put a list of soldiers together with great difficulty. If you want I'll invite him to visit here for any questions you may have.

Best Regards

C.Evans likes this.
  12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Pat, the Museum at Camp Mabry here in Austin has a book listing all the men who served in the 36th Div. I might buy a copy sometime depending on the price. I mention this because if the Camp mabry Museum has a website? you can get a copy from them. The book was VERY nicely done. I briefly looked in it to see if i could find Gregg Wileys name in it but didnt in the time I was there for lack of time.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Steve, great info on those guys. See my post above about the book that is for sale at the Camp Mabry Museum just in case you and Millies Daughter have not heard about it? ;-))

14. 36thID

36thID Member

Carl,

Yes Sir, I have a copy and I think Patti does too. Lisa that runs the museum, had a few original copies they found in December. They went fast before I could act !!

I would like to find an original copy of General Walker's book, "From Texas To Rome."

The problem with the roster is it list the brave soldiers KIA and the date only for each Regiment.

If anyone is interested, the museum has 141st AAR on CD for sale.

Best Regards

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Steve, glad you have a copy. Can you let me know what page Gregg is listed on? I don't know his exact unit info in the 36th and im seriously considering getting a copy of the book. I wonder if Millie has a copy? If not? maybe I can convince my Brother to chime in with me for getting her a copy ;-))

16. 36thID

36thID Member

Hi Carl,

Mr Willey is on page 45.

I spoke with Patti, their daughter and she would like to hear from you. I'm sending a PM with her email address.

Patti is THE expert on the Italian Battles from Salerno to Rome. She has made at least 6 trips with vets from the 36th. If you're lucky, you'll get to sit down with her and see her volumes of letters and photos Mr Willey composed from his battles in Italy to his service with FDR. She and I spent about 6 hours in San Antonio going over each others collections.

She is a wonderful lady.....

Best Regards

formerjughead likes this.
  17. Mgore

Mgore New Member

Hello.
    I want to thank you all for your information on Camp Mabry Museum.From this I was able to locate my Dad, Edwin G Brosemann. THANK YOU! He served in Company A 141st Infantry...