Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

CO C 931ST SIGNAL BN

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Datrat, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Datrat

Datrat New Member

My dad was in this battalion in WWII. His battles and campaigns list China Offensive, Central Burma and India Burma. Under decorations and citations it list American Theater Ribbon, Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon W/3 Bronze Stars, Good Conduct Medal, Victory Medal WWII. I would love to find out more about his company and what they did over in India thanks for any information

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

4. Datrat

Datrat New Member

5. Linda Herrick Swisher

Linda Herrick Swisher New Member

Hi: The site(s) that LRusso216 linked to are mine. The early version was on freepages.rootsweb.com and it's now on weebly.com. Both contain rosters of unit members. (I was working on cosmetic site changes when I saw a link to your message.) My father was in Co. A of that unit.

Dad attended several reunions and was able to purchase a book written by Florence Brownfield, whose husband, Gerald, was in the unit. WorldCat lists 2 titles: Men of the 931st Signal Battalion (pub. 1991; softcover, comb-bound; 265 pages) and A History of the 931st Signal Battalion (pub 1992; possibly hardcover; 401 pages). I have Men of. In that book, Mrs. Brownfield alludes to a history that would be published following the unit's 5th reunion in Washington state. I presume that book is History of. Both books are in the Library of Congress and at the Military History Institute at Carlisle Barracks; Men of is also in a library in Munich, Germany. The rosters on my site were from Men of and from the reunion organizer, now deceased.

Men of was typed on a dot matrix printer, and the pictures were photocopied, not scanned. I don't know if there are any copies of either book available. As far as I can tell, Mrs. Brownfield is still alive (in her 90s) and may be living in Orange, CA but I have no contact info. If you'll give your dad's name, I'm happy to check my copy of Men of. Feel free to message me here, or at army931sb@gmail.com

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    TD-Tommy776 and Natman like this.
  6. Datrat

Datrat New Member

Thank you so much! I emailed you his name