Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cockpit Colors WW2 Japanese Aircraft

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Rodrigo, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Member

I´m a plastimodeller and I´m painting now some japanese fighters of WW2. But I´m having problems to know about the interior colors of that fighters. Anybody knows where I can find some information, if possible with color pictures. Thanks.

2. Ron

Ron Member

Well i dunno if this site will help you but you can check it out: http://www.j-aircraft.com/index.htm

Personally i would paint the interior of my models a dark olive or black. If it was a silver plane i guess prob a grey inside.
    Hope that helps?

3. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Member

Thanks Ron, but that site I already know. There are some bibliography about it. But for me it´s difficult to find here. I´m painting a green "Zeke".

4. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rodrigo:
    Thanks Ron, but that site I already know. There are some bibliography about it. But for me it´s difficult to find here. I´m painting a green "Zeke".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might check the various "Squadron Publications" on the Japanese aircraft. Interior color varied widely from nation to nation. I know the U.S. chose that billious shade of green with care, consideration and committee decisions. Did the Japanes go to such lengths. I would imagine with late war production aircraft the intereiors were often painted wrong or unpainted entirely because of production hassles.

5. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Member

Guys, I think I find the mix of colors, but I really want a colored example, if possible.

Here is what I found:
    Mitsubishi Interior Green
    -------------------------
    Gunze Mr. Color
    6-Green 15%,
    7-Brown 20%,
    4-Yellow 65%

Tamiya
    X5-Green 10%,
    X9-Brown 20%,
    X8-Lemon Yellow 70%
    Aeromaster Warbird Acrylics

Nakajima Interior Green
    -----------------------
    Gunze Mr. Color
    1-White 82%,
    6-Green 10%,
    4-Yellow 5%,
    7-Brown 3%

Tamiya
    White 92%,
    X1-Black 3%,
    X5-Green 3%,
    X8-Lemon Yellow 2%

Aeromaster Warbird Acrylics

6. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Rodrigo, welcome to the forums. Delighted to hear that you're doing a Zeke. Beautiful plane with a good choice of paint schemes. Anyways, looks like you're spot-on with the interior colors. Most Japanese aircraft ran a drab green interior (with some brass and metal parts). Also, if your budget permits, I believe Tamiya has a cockpit detail kit for the Zeke.
    As for which brand to use, definitely stay with the Tamiya. Especially if you're using an airbrush. It is a bit more pricey, but Tamiya is water (not oil) based, which makes things easier to clean. Have fun and good luck!

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich, what in the name of Gunther Rall, are you doing here? YOU are a German pilot flying GERMAN aircraft. Since when did you go over to the Japaneese?

Uncle Adolf is going to be very angry mit uns. :eek: :eek:

8. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Sorry Carl.

I never did like Adolf nor was I a strong believer in Nazism. The fact that Bolshevism must be stopped was pretty much the only thing we say eye-to-eye on.

Now just give me my Knight's Crosswith Swords, uncle. Thank you very much.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey Erich, does your younger brother Alfred, still has his medical practice at your fathers home at 9 Bismarckstrasse in Weim im Schonbuch?

As we know, Alfead disliked uncle Adolf too. Hows it with flying with the Japanese? Are you flying with Fuchida?

10. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Fuchida? Got Im Himmel!!!!!

I believe Alfred retired years ago. Don't really know too much about the Hartmann legacy as it stands in 2001, though.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yep--he was the man who lead the attack on Pearl Harbor. Did you know that he became a Priest?

And seriously, im thinking of writing to Alfred and also B. Steinhoff if I can find the latters address.

12. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Didn't know Fuchida became a man of the cloth. Probably was looking to repent after realizing what he'd done when waking up on 8 December '41 [​IMG]

If you get a relpy from Alfred I'll give you the shirt off my back, brother. Speaking of clothing, I have a buddy here who just found what looks to be a Luftwaffe mechanic or ground crew suit. Has the eagle breast patch and everything. He works in our city's film office, so we are speculating that it must have been for use in a movie. Problem is, there was no local film that could have involved such an artifact that we know of. Interesting.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Bubi, you are totally correct. One of the main reasons Fuchida became a man of the cloth was because of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Erich, I hate to say it but, I think we now need your services again as a Fighter Pilot, to use your talents against those cowardly Palistinian Bastards. :mad: :mad: