Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

College Football 2009

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by dgmitchell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Fallschirmjäger 1

Fallschirmjäger 1 Member

Well it's one of my favorites ('Bama) against one of my "hated teams" (I will choose not to use the T-word here).

I hope the Tide rolls right over the Longhorns!

2. Currahee

Currahee Member

Tony Pike VS. Tim Tebow should be a great game. I'm a UC fan but Tim Tebow is my favorite player n all sports. GO BEARCATS!!!

3. Fallschirmjäger 1

Fallschirmjäger 1 Member

If Cincy manages to beat Florida....wow just think of that. Unfortunately it looks like they will be loosing their coach and Tony Pike next year...

The Fiesta Bowl (TCU-Boise State) should be interesting, really pulling for TCU to win that one.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Gentlemenses, it is time for a play-off system, and rid ourselves of this BCS their and poll driven cra-poll-a selection process once and for all. Either use the top 10 to go, or invite the conference champs from the major conferences to go to the play-offs. I prefer the conference champs system myself. Just my idea.

5. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

I went to VMI, I don't worry about playoffs and such.

But yup, FCS is getting interesting. I do keep an eye on W&M since my daughter goes there. Squashed a favored Southern Illinois on Saturday; playing Villanova next - should be interesting, Villanova beat W&M in the regular season, but not by much.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Why no interest in the play-off system? VMI sucks at football that much?

7. Fallschirmjäger 1

Fallschirmjäger 1 Member

It's definitely time for a play-off system.

I go to Kent State and well, we may be Division I but really....we get beat up by other MAC schools sometimes soooo yeah we don't even go to bowl games anyway. But for the big teams, it's only fair that everyone gets a chance at the big title.

8. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I agree with you Bobby. It's time for a playoff system. With the way things are now, the NCAA is essentially telling the kids who play for TCU, Cincinnati, and Boise that even perfection will never be good enough. Not good IMO since once you takes out the sports, it's a learning environment first and foremost.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yes, by using the conference champs, the title game would be more accessable to the conferences that usually get passed over when the BCS bowl selections go out. The season would be stretched out a bit, and the critics will cry foul, but Division 1 is the only part of college football without a play-off system.

What to do with the bowls in such a system, your guess is good as mine.

10. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Read more here
    The Forgotten Ghosts of College Football - WSJ.com

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I am in agreement with both of you gentlemen. A playoff system would be significantly better than the mess the BCS is now. I would think that the bowls could easily be connected to the playoffs, with each bowl hosting a different round each year, just as the championship would move among the major bowls. I suspect that the schools like Boise would jump at this chance to take part in a meaningful end of season playoff. I also suspect that the bowl sponsors and some of the "big" schools that are always invited would fight it tooth and nail. Can you imagine the embarrassment of, say Florida, losing in the first round to Boise? It would be hilarious to listen to the coach try to explain that the the alumni.

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Tebow would cry....

13. Fallschirmjäger 1

Fallschirmjäger 1 Member

...and it would be beautiful!

14. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

And I would be chuckling.

15. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I was surprised that Mark Ingram won the Heisman. I was fully prepared for and expecting Colt McCoy to go home with it.

Now if the Crimson Tide can take the NC, it will be a perfect season for the Bama faithful.

16. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I wasn’t all that surprised that Ingram won, what I was surprised at was Stanford’s tailback Toby Gerhart finishing only 28 points behind Ingram.

I also wasn’t really shocked at Colt McCoy’s finish for some reason, it was probably that poor showing against Nebraska that made me wonder if he would really be in the running at the end.

I was surprised, however that Suh came in fourth, I think only one other defensive player has ever won the Heisman in its entire history.

Got to wonder if the BCS will ever recognize that it is one letter away from "truth in advertising". They need to either drop the "C", or embrace a tournament play-off system to "hush" the critics.

17. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Read more here
    Big Ten to explore possibility of expansion in next 12 to 18 months - ESPN

I think it needs to be done. Not having a conference championship is hurting the conference in the rankings. Notre Dame has no interest in joining any conference, despite it, IMHO, hurting their recruiting. I would say either Nebraska or Pittsburgh would be the best two bets.

18. Fallschirmjäger 1

Fallschirmjäger 1 Member

I agree that it should be done, they were saying we'd (as in the Big 10, sorry I'm from B10 country) either get Mizzou or a New York team (Syracuse?) for the money involved (sellouts?). I'd rather see Pitt or Mizzou, and Nebraska would be nice, but I think they're a little too far west and should stay in the B12.

19. Currahee

Currahee Member

I do not know very much about college football, just started watching the past two seasons. They need a playoff system bad. Schools like UC, TCU, and Boise will never get a chance to play n the championship game with Florida, Texas, and Bama. Let them play for the championship game.

20. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

The point to the Bowl system is not to truly establish the National Champion but to sell tickets to football games and to generate TV revenue. The Bowls only want teams that will fill seats and generate TV viewers to play in the big Bowls. Some schools can sell tickets. Others can't. A few year's ago when BC played in the Champs Sports Bowl, BC had to buy its alotment and then gave them to the local Catholic churches to give away. We got great seats to a substantially empty Bowl game and watched a good BC vs. Michigan State game. If Miami or FSU or many of the other ACC teams had been selected over BC, a lot more tickets would have been sold. That is why BC was bypassed this year and got stuck traveling to San Francisco for the Emerald Bowl.