Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Combat Dealers' on TV - militaria goes celebrity

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Martin Bull, May 15, 2014.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Series 2 is with us and Brucie's back in fine form. Maybe a little less 'pizazz' than Series 1 but still compelling stuff ; finding a lineup of PaK 40s in Finland being one highlight. For UK viewers, it's on Quest on Wednesday evenings or on catchup.....

http://www.questtv.co.uk/combat-dealers-catch-up/

:cool:

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I want that 'Swiss Army' German bayonet.
    And a PAK40.
    And it's tool kit.
    And a Tiger Cupola.
    And.
    And.
    And...

3. Martin Bull

Although some of the prices being bandied about make me glad that my own collecting ambitions are modest...... :eh:

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I'd like to know just what that Hetzer cost the Aussies.
    That passing reference to half a million seemed a tad light to me, in that sort of order and complete with all ancilliary bits and pieces.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I was able to find this show on the interwebs....complete time vampire.

6. Martin Bull

Series 4 kicked off on Quest TV last night and saw something of a return to form after a lucklustre Series 3. Of course, the 'star item' is the restoration of the ex-Beltring Panther Ausf. A which certainly made for some interesting viewing. Quite incredible to find someone hoarding a complete Maybach V12 engine in a garage on a Kent housing estate. Asking price ? £100,000.....

All good TV fun.................

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I remain puzzled as to why they inserted a several week gap in the middle of this series, but there ya go.

That was indeed one of the best yet.
    Panther, shifty engine man, shifty German man, Hillary Doyle, Russian man with huge barn-ful of interesting parts.
    Freeze-framing on that barn bodes quite well for some future restorations... which will then doubtless all be shipped off to Australia!

Oh, and feelthy pictures too. They were good.

8. Martin Bull

Yes, it's the shifty German man I like ! For me, series 2&3 were a bit short on French barns and those 'somewhere in former East Germany' hoards. They may be a TV fantasy, but they're fun to watch.......

9. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Enjoyed the mock up tanks, (S.K.I.P. Mk4) where they tested the penetration of appropriate thickness of the steel, with the American Bazooka and the British six pounder anti tank gun. Boys and their toys!!!

10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Its frustrating, isn't it, that much as we'd like to hope we were a significant demographic, there just doesn't seem to be the market for a more in-depth series on this stuff.
    Agreed, though; we take what we can get, and its given more insight into 'collector world' than any other programme.

Thought the previous episode in Italy wasn't bad. Particularly the ink pistol, and very nice SPA tractor.
    (Anyone who's curious and hasn't seen the show - Quest's UK website usually carries several full episodes. Don't mind the shouting... Look at the stuff!)

11. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I watched 5 minutes on the Quest site and had to stop. Great show, but I can't hunt vicariously for relics, no time these days. I'll have to settle for watching in a minimized window when I'm working on the site.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

New series.
    Quest. (UK)
    Tuesday.
    9.30pm

And you know what?
    Sometimes shouty or not, I think Mr Crompton has indeed triggered a new era of a tad more openness from the bigger collectors, who used to be a bit of a closed internet book, with sketchy websites that were never updated..

Mr Wheatcroft now regularly updates his Facebook as his restorations & acquisitions accelerate towards what looks like a new museum (looks like a golden age for sub-contracted rarity restoring from his heap), The Aussie chap's museum shares quite a bit of his crazy high-end interests, and The Weald Foundation is a far more visible & accessible incarnation of what was the Sd.Kfz. Foundation.

More power to 'em.

13. Martin Bull

A friend had already given me the heads-up ; I'm out tomorrow evening so will have to watch on catch-up.

I do enjoy watching Brucie ( 'yer avvin a larrfff !' ) and he's certainly brought the subject to people's living rooms !

14. Martin Bull

Watched it, and Quest are repeating it already ( 3pm yesterday ). Series 5 - off to a low-key start with the emphasis on French Resistance. I do enjoy it when Bruce drives around France or Germany and finds stuff in barns. And the SS helmet for 8,000 Euros. It always gives me a warm glow when something I have in my own collection ( usually something cheap ! :oops: ) features - this time it was the Bren magazine box. And there were tantalizing glimpses of the Australia-bound Panther.....

I like Combat Dealers.

15. Martin Bull

Just caught up with Episode 2 - a Dunkirk 'special' and again, Bruce and his cohorts sticking close to home with visits to UK dealers like Regimentals plus the Batterie Todt Museum near Calais and a trip on a genuine British MTB. Great to see something I've actually got in my collection - this week he buys 2 FF33 field telephones and gets them working.

Still compulsive viewing......