Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Combat Mission 2 East Front!

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Gibson, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Gibson

Gibson Member

Yes, I know its very old news. I just checked http://www.combatmission.com and saw they had new pics up of it. Very good looking ones, here is one from the site:

[​IMG]

Whoohoo!

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for showing it Gibson, looks like a very cool game. Have you ever checked out Talonsofts Eastern Front game or any of ite WW2 games? they are very well done, and im also thinking of getting their Napoleon War series too.

3. Desert Journeyman

Desert Journeyman Member

Steer clear of the Cossacks! and European Wars games.

Both are interesting in that they do exactly as you tell them - but only that much. If you follow, they have no AI to control them what-so-ever. Your own artillery will, for instance, wait to return counter-battery fire until you order them to do so. Your own men are often lost in massive, sprawling formations - which again will stand and die before engaging the enemy if you do not click to make it so.

4. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

are you refering to Combat Mission? If so, that is patiently untrue The A.I. isvery intuitive and given a minimum of direction they will engage the enemy on their own, defend, choose their own targets, find cover, and when ammo runs low they will conserve, firing only when they are endangered

5. mart

mart Member

the best RTS ww2 games are still the close Combat series, with nr 2 (a Bridge too far)and 5 (normandy)as the best in this series of 5. (1,2 and 3 by microsoft) 4 and 5 by SSI)

6. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

I have Close Combat ,A Bridge Too Far, it does not even come close to Combat Mission

7. alath

alath Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Bones:
    I have Close Combat ,A Bridge Too Far, it does not even come close to Combat Mission<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The later Close Combat instalments are a lot better, but still not at all the same kind of game as Combat Mission. I haven't played CM, but judging by the screen shots and what I've read about it, it looks a lot more like a simulation than the CC series.

The CC series are more like tactical board games - similar to the old Squad Leader - only using the computer to handle all the math and calculations and dice rolling chores. Totally different kind of game, seems to me.

8. Toppers

Toppers recruit

I have CC2,3, (sold 4) and 5. But I prefer 2 and 3 as these are better games than the later ones.
    However are you aware that you can create different secnarios for these. There is a web site where you can down load a version called 1940 and it has British, french and all the rest in it, basically upto Dunkirk and after.

check this link: www.militarygamer.net/CloseCombatRealRed

for more details, a very good site indeed.

9. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

what a great site, it's too bad mor epeople don't know about these great modifications.

And welcome aboard Topper!

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Otto, you have to get back here more often my friend. I havent sent those RKT photos yet as I am rechecking all my info and will now be adding more on Thursday--but I should be done with the new info by friday, then I will send them to you to post. [​IMG]

11. TIM E

TIM E Member

I like Talonsoft's West Front and East Front games because you can design your own scenerios.

-- Tim E

12. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Evans:
    Otto, you have to get back here more often my friend. I havent sent those RKT photos yet as I am rechecking all my info and will now be adding more on Thursday--but I should be done with the new info by friday, then I will send them to you to post. [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carl, that's great to hear. I agree, I do need to be ahound here more often. School and work has finally slowed down for me, but my computer is now under repairs, so I now know what you have to deal with when you use those verdammt library computers! :mad: :mad: It is no fun.

One more upgrade to the Forums and then we get the medals back and some other nice features too. ;) :D

BTW, how is that email account working out for you Carl? Are you using it? I hope it has been helpful, if not let me know,... As you know, I'm always trying to improve things here. :eek: