Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Come on guys-any ww2 German collectors here?

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by C.Evans, May 24, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Out of 182 people registered here, I can't possibly be the only person here who collects German stuff, or do I stand alone???? :confused: :confused:

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

erm, kinda...I am a re-enactor so I collect things that are of use to me, field gear, maps, map cases, binoculars, uniform items, firearms (deactivated ones), that kind of thing.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ah Sehr Gute! At least you do collect. Me im into the real stuff, insignia, working guns, tunics etc.

Thanks for the reply mate [​IMG]

4. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

What tunics do you have? I have an M44 with a Hitlerjugend cuff title. Do you collect caps? I have an M43 and an M40, both are bery nice and to be honest I find them more comfertable than the Beret I was issued at Cadets. In fact my SS uniform is more comfertable than my British army uniform, including webbing/field gear.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ok, I'll pile into this one....

Sounds to me that you both are going to be doing some tradin.......eh ?

I'm into hardcore Luftwaffe, since that's my speciality for over 35 years. Parts, ammo, paint chips/insignia of aircraft. Biographies and KC and other pilots signed pics.....ah so is Carl I know.
    Luftwaffe tunic and flight uniform insignia and cap insignia for a Leutnant and Captain, and an origianl Jagdgeschwader Udet cuff band. A few medals and a bayonet here and there. 2 Mausers, one a 98K and a parachutists piece as well as a Panzerschreck 54 to boot. 1 P-38 Walther and a WW 1 Beholla pistol which is a sweet piece and fairly accurate for its age .32 caliber with holster......and on it goes.

:cool:

E

6. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

I think we're all collectors to a degree here, but that rarely is one's focus as it can get extremely expensive when you're trying to make a living for yourself.

But if you're curious, I've got various patches, a piece of a FW-190, and an iron cross that my grandfather grabbed in France, circa late 1944. Also have an MP-40, a German Tank badge, and am right now in the process of purchasing a giant Nazi party item in which I cannot be specific, for it is for a certain member of this forum who cannot be named (for now).

7. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I have a few things most are from my great uncle who brought them back for europe and the rest I bought. A P38, PP7, hitleryouth knife, officers belt, baynot & frog, K98mauser, and a nambu pistol. I have original hostlers for all three pistols.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for letting me know, at least we are now a group within a group. Oh and some news, EPIER IS NOW GOING TO BAN GERMAN STUFF, they are following their older brother....Ebay :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

For Stefan: I have a 1939 Artillery Officers Doeskin tunic, with loops for long ribbon bar and two medals. Has the 1914 Ek 2nd and the frozen meat medal ribbons in the second buttonhole. Its tailor made from Franz Teufel in Duisberg if I remember correctly.

This tunic was made in the Austrian style cut, and has the owners SA/SS Daggar hanger sew into the tunic--and this is an Army Officers tunic. Has just one time repait to one of the shoulders. I recently found an original Laundry tag in one pocket, and some paper in another.

The only other tunics I have are: Navy officer tunic, and two USAF tunics, all with Boullion insignias.

I have Arty Officers peaked Visor with metal insignia, doeskin made. Luft Officers M-43 cap with cloth insignia, and a U-boat officers schifchen with rare metal insignia. This was given to me by one of U 181s officers as a birthday gift this year <:-()

I havent done much tradin lately, but are looking to get rid of a few items (As mentioned in the for sale section) :)

Just in the last 10 days, I have obtained a mint set of Rittmeisters shoulderboards from the 5th Uhlan Cavalry Regiment. I had a wee-informed collector of Imperial stuff and is a professional Genealogist, email me and said that these boards might be the former property of WW2 Generalfeldmarshall Ewald von Kleist.

Plus I have a very early weighted party flag, a sword and lots of other stuff. Plus a good and growing collection of Knights Cross Recipients signed photos as Erich kindly mentioned. Plus a growing collection of original press photos and Hoffmann photos.

And for E.Hartmann: I just got an autographed photo that you signed in 1991, just a short time before you passed away. Its a cool photo-really! ;) It will be shown here in a section of other Knights Cross Recipients photos I have, at some point in ze near future, and thanks to Romm--er Otto :D

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Your frozen meat medal.....I am wondering if it has the manufacturer's F.Teufels signature somewhere on it ? Mine was taken off a gefreiter in Czechslovakia at the end of the war, but it is not marked.

Sound like there is a wide variety of "great stuff" collected here on this forum ! Guys, keep it up !!!! :D :D :D

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich I think thats a Faux Pas, The name Franz Teufel is the tailor who made the Arty Majors tunic. I might have not specified correctly on that last posting.

I too have a frozen meat medal, it was given to me by an Artillery Officer who im good friends with and whom lives in Virginia. He tried to get assigned to the U-boats, but they sent him to the Heer instead.

I agree, our little but growing community, has a good selection of ww2 stuff, real or repo is no matter.

11. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl, there were so many autographs that I've done over the years, make sure that you scan and post it sometime so I may remember [​IMG]

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Herr Hartmann: I will be glad to send a copy of it to Herr Otto, and have him post it here. Lets hope you can shed some light as to when and where that photo of you was taken ;)

I have a question, do you remember if it was Heinrich Hoffmann who took a photo of you on the day you had your 352nd arial victory? Pls let me know [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, I noticed another of your autographed photos for sale on Ebay-just yesterday. The starting bid was for $150.00--your gaining in value--keep it up sir. :D

13. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

I collect helmets, bayonets, and field gear, mostly. I am looking for a 66 or 68 Stalhelm, without a liner, I already have one. I have several German helmets, a 64 M40, 68 M42, Fallschirmjaeger helmet(repro, looks nice though), a couple Soviet helmets, some US pots, Hungarian helmet, Romanian, Feldmutze, nylon winter helmet liners, gas mask, buckles, bayonets, coins, a K98, VZ-24, Mosin-Nagant carbine, MAS-36, propaganda posters from all sides, flags, and more

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sounds like your collection beats mine, hands down. It looks like a nice large collection, maybe someday, mine will compare to yours. ;) [​IMG]

15. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl, Is WAS Heinrich Hoffmann who snapped that (now famous) picture. I'll never forget it; was a Soviet Yak fighter. Poor bloke never saw me coming. Soon after though, we had to split as the Allies were right down the road at that point [​IMG]

Speaking of German regalia, Carl do you know a source I can contact who sells replica U-boat commander (white heman meyer style)hats?

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Very good Herr Major, very good indeed. Herr Galand would be most proud of you victory over that Soviet ace Herr Melonkovsky.

Thanks form the laugh

:D :D

I know of several sites that sell replicas, but dont know of one that has a replica of a U-boat Hermann Meyer cap. You can get a replice Luft Meyer had and sunbleach it and it would look like a KM hat, except you would have to change the eagle. The real thing is so rare, and I have only seen one for sale in all my years of breathing. It recently sold for over $5,000, THATS how rare it is.

It will be easier for me to show you where to go as I lack time to look for you at the moment.

Go to: www.blackcrossmilitaria.com enter, go to links page and enter. You will see all kinds of militaria sites pop up there and click on the green and white banner, that swhere about 90% of all dealers will be listed at--good dealers, including many selling replicas. Let me know if you have any problems and I will try to look for you. ;)

17. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Many thanks for the reference, Carl. To transform a KM Meyer from a Luftwaffe one would probably not make sense. Yes, you'd have to change the eagle but also the "bullseye" surround. But I'll keep trying and post what comes up.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Not a problemo, and I will keep an eye peeled for one. :D

19. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I just found out today that my german baynet is from world war one. Since my great uncle took it off a dead german, my guess is that they were still issueing left overs they still had instock. Does anyone know if this is true I would really like to find out.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Panzergrenadier: You would be surprised at what was issued throughout the war. I have a ww1 Butcherblade Bayonet, that was part of a field kitchen cutlery set. An individual soldier "liberated" this knife and cut sawtooth type grooves into the top part of the blade which was strictly forbidden especially in ww2. This man had converted it into a Bayonet by changing its handle and grip and fitting it onto this kitchen knife.

I would sure hate to be on the recieve=ing end of such a Bayonet :eek: :eek: :eek: Common practice when a soldier was captured with such a converted "bayonet" was that they were usually summarily executed.