Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Congratulations to Otto

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Richard, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hi Otto,

Well done. I have been finding my way around these new forums for the last week, and although "We fear change" I must say I really like these new forums!!!!

Enjoying it already!!

Otto likes this.
  2. TA152

TA152 Ace

What does the little black box under my post count that says I have a "disabled reputation" ???

I want a green box like yours.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It means you disabled your reputation option, which means you can go into your profile and turn the reputation function on, then you can have the colored cubes. :)

4. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Look yoursel in the mirror and you'll know :lol:

Now seriously, what is the point of this? Do we really need this feature? Ditto for the thread rating, why do we need this?

IMHO instead of these little widgets what we need is to increase participation in this forum, as it is too sleepy right now. I belong to other WW2 forums and they do brisk businees, with several 10s of new posts each day, whereas if we have 5 posts in a day here then it's something special.

5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Whats the point of trying to get more people to this forum right at this point while its kinks are still being worked out as are its looks. As Otto previously mentioned, himself and Peppy are working on a new color-scheme for the Forum, etc. Some of the little gadgets might eventually go away, but right now they are a test run.

I think the Thread Rating is a good idea. I want to know before looking at a thread if its a Troll-Thread, or if the particular discussion is very informative and civil.

Keep up the good work Otto!

Il Duce Out.

Otto likes this.
  6. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

The problem is not "get more people at this point", the problem is this has been a slow forum for some months, as compared to others. The fact that we are still in an wrinkle ironing process is only temporary so this is no excuse.

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Oh, hell!; I don't think I'll risk it........

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Za give it time and do not compare this forum with others please. I've been a member for some years and seen slow periods but it has also been the same on others, and pity the poor new forums that are trying to get other members now ..............wow you talk about dead or slow or both. It's tough for sure.

as to the colored cubes, geez I do not even see where this is located in my profile. Ah heck I've got an excuse, I'm an OPA.

v/r E ~

9. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

OH MY GOD!! CHANGE BAD!!! :D

Despite the thread title, some of these posts don't seem to be all that congratulatory. ;)

The forums are much better than they used to be feature-wise and we are making improvements every day. You have no idea how much of a nightmare it was to run the old site, now we can actually improve it significantly and grow.

Some people always surprise me with their comments. This is a free service, if I get offered a free meal and I accept it, I'm sure to say please and thank you, I certainly don't tell the cook I can get better elsewhere. If I see room for improvement, I'm the type of person to pitch in and help instead of opening my mouth, but then again that's just me.

Peppy >>> doesn't fear change

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I've been here literally from the start too. Like most things, it goes through various stages. This being a transition stage, its probably a good time to be a little slow. People are still getting used to the lay of the new forums. With it being so quiet, it helps out Otto as he doesnt have to moderate as much stuff as when he does when it is busy. Once everything gets up, i'm sure we'll see a little more life in here.

EDIT: Well said Peppy. I'll keep on working on Il Duce's Reviews and send them over to Otto when they're ready.

Otto and Peppy like this.
  11. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

I am very pleased to see the changes with the forum. In fact, I am more familiar with this style of forum as it similar to other forums that I frequent. I find this site much more user friendly than the old site.....Just my two cents...

Anywho...Congratulations to Otto and the rest of the staff here at ww2f.com!!

Otto likes this.
  12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

agreed the format is like a good fitting pair of boots ............ I do like the idea of simplification of adding images now via saved data files instead of one of the photo captures like photobucket which can be a pain in the royal arse at times.

E ~

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

well for Otto and Peppy for all their hard efforts and I know they will continue

Prosit and keep those props turning .........

Attached Files:

Otto likes this.
  14. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Phew ! Made it.....sorry I'm late, guys. I felt a bit like a member of the USS Enterprise, beamed halfway up ! Change of forum coincided with importation of unidentified nasties via e-mail ; all sorted now.

( Phew ! was going to be in italics...but I can't find any italics, or bold things....oh, well - I'll get used to it ! )

Well done Otto and Peppy - at least we're there......

Otto likes this.
  15. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

Until Otto and Peppy get things completely sorted out, you can add italics by using [_i_], type the text that you want in italics, then [_ /i_ ]...without the underscores. For bold type, [_b_] [_/b_] and to underline [_u_] [_/u_]

It's a little more work, but that's the work around. :D

Without the underscores...
    To add a link, [_url_] http link [/url]...http://ww2f.com or [_url= http link] text [_/url]... Come join the fun at WW2F.com

To add an image, [_img_] http link [_/img_]

[​IMG]

16. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Oh God, no....that's too much like morse for my liking!

17. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Or a whole lot easier....
    'Ctrl+i' or 'b' or 'u', or just use the B I U boxes above the text entry box, vbulletin uses standard word-processing shortcuts for these style changes, there's really no need for html stylee messing about.
    The icons above the box are there to add quotes, links and pictures with the minimum of fuss.
    Also worth going into options and switching to full 'wysiwyg' mode.
    Cheers,
    Adam

18. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

Or that! :eek: :kilroy:

Thanks VP, I overlooked that in the options area. Here's a cookie for the heads up! :oreo:

19. Richard

Richard Expert

And congratulations to Peppy for all his hard work as well.

PS: And anyone else as well.

20. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

What a helpful lot. There are many ways to alter your text and fonts. In my opinion the easiest is the "wysiwyg" (What You See Is What You Get) editor that Von Poop mentioned, but there are several different ways to edit your text. With a brief review of the FAQ's you can become very familiar with any of the techniques.

Also, thanks for the support gentlemen. Like I said, I'm working on a great many things here, and the WWII Forum swill be the support system for it all. With Peppy's help, by the end of 2007, this site will have come a looong way. There just might be another WWII Network site or two around as well. ;)

Peppy likes this.