Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

CONTEST #2 Answer this and win:

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by C.Evans, Sep 17, 2002.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Fielen Dank meine freund Friedrich! Maybe next time. [​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome my friend. I just thought of something I could use for prize and contest number #3--just give me time to think of a good question. Ill possibly post it this afternoon.

3. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Miserable Cretin

I'd like to offer a contest question:
    After the war's end, in 1945, American politicians and Generals travelled to Berlin to view a collection of treasures which the Germans had amassed during the conflict. Most were unimpressed with the display, except for Patton, who was fascinated with one particular piece of regalia. So obsessed was he, that he had the piece's history traced and the item authenticated. He asked Eisenhower not to have the piece returned to its country of origin, and that it should be kept as a spoil of war. Ike refused however, and had the item returned to the country which originally had it.
    What was this piece?

Winner gets original photo of a squadron of Curtis-Wright Falcon Army observation planes.
    8x10 glossy printed by C-W for the Army Air Corps just prior to the war.

[​IMG]
    Close-up:
    [​IMG]

4. Steve

Steve Member

Hi Knight: Was it an Arabian Horse?

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I had heard something like this before.

I think Patton was looking at an old Roman Spear--the one that was supposedly used in mortally wounding Christ our Lord. A spear was used in piercing one of his lungs. Blood of course got onto the spear--supposedly the stains can or could still be seen.

Or am I way off base?

6. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Miserable Cretin

Steve: Sorry, but, thanks for trying.
    Herr Evans: You are quite correct. Known as The Spear of Longinus, after the Roman sergeant, it was the "evil" counterpart to the Holy Grail (the two objects are obviously linked together, as the chalice caught the blood of Christ.) It was handed down through the Templars, Charlemagne and Napoleon until it became part of the Hapsburg regalia. In 1938, Hitler took the spear upon entering Vienna, along with the regalia of the Holy Roman Empire. For most of the war, these relics were kept in the hall of Saint Katherine’s Church.
    Another spear is in the Vatican, which they claim is the "True" spear. Patton's research, however, established once and for all the authenticity of the Austrian lance. Much to Patton's disappointment (as the spear was always associated with great military leaders,) Ike returned it to Austria, where it can be seen today in the Hofburg Museum.
    Send me your address and I shall get the photo in the mail!
    -KT

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Knight. I sent you a ww2 pm with my address.

Also, I have a prize on hand and in mind--for contest #3.

PS, it pays to read books by Barry Sadler! Or I would never at least have known the name of the spear. [​IMG]

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Congratulations, Carl!!! ;) A little piece of militaria to own. And we know you hva a lack of it... :rolleyes:

Damned. I wished I had more militria of my own, so I could share it... :(

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Aint that the truth brother.

PS, Knight--I need your adddress so I can send out the poster. [​IMG]