Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Could the russians do scorched earth on stalingrad and the oil fields on the caucasus?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Rudi SF, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Rudi SF

Rudi SF New Member

Hello there !
    I'd like to ask a general question for you more studied people here.
    I'm in no way a scholar of any kind of world war's, but I was seeing a wwii documentary and wondered to myself if the russians could have burned/left stalingrad and disabled the oil fields on the caucasus upon german advance.
    Would the aftermath be more or less the same, with germans having their supply lines cut off, and forcing to surrender after winter?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

To what I have read the Soviets started the burning the ground down 1941. As well the oik fields in the northern Caucasus were destroyed with concrete. Göring wondered if the oil fields could be opened with corkscrews?

3. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

If the Russians destroyed much of their own oil supplies, would it have hurt their war effort?

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

As K-P noted, the Russians did destroy resources in areas they were compelled to retreat from, but the suggestion here seems to be that they should pre-emptively fall back in the face of German attack, scorching the earth as they went. Not sure I see the benefit of that. Anything that's damaged can be repaired if the Germans are left in occupation long enough. Lack of supplies is always an issue, but it's most critical if the Germans are being made to fight.

One positive change from 1941 to 1942 was that the Russians abandoned the "hold at all costs" mentality that had led to so many troops cut off and captured, but that meant they had more troops available when the time came to counterattack. Stalin, Zhukov, and the rest knew that at some point they would have to take the offensive.

The city of Stalingrad was not critical in and of itself. Like most major cities, it had some valuable industries, but possessing it or not was not going to decide the course of the war. It became significant as the point where the Russians could tie the Germans down in a battle on their terms. And of course Hitler's determination not to give up the fight for "Stalin's city" set his armies up for disaster.

5. GunSlinger86

If the Russians did destroy most of their oil supplies, that would have seriously affected their war effort, correct?

6. Carronade

Carronade Ace

I assume so. The Germans expected their conquest of the Caucasus to cripple the Soviet war machine, in addition to securing oil for their own use. Early in the war, when Russia and Germany were cooperating, the British tried to develop schemes to bomb the oil facilities around Baku, expecting that to have a significant impact.

I don't know that much about German plans, but I think they envisioned the Maikop oilfields as the primary ones for their own use. I know they assigned a unit of Brandenburger commandos to secure the facilities ahead of their armies, to prevent the Russians destroying them. Obviously it would have been more of a challenge to transport oil from Baku, so that may have been more a matter of denying the oil to the Soviets.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I recall reading the Soviets had massive reserves in Siberia in case they could not use the Baku oil. I am pretty sure the USSR would not give Baku to the Germans for free.

8. Carronade

Carronade Ace

There are significant oil and natural gas reserves in Siberia, but I don't think the technology to exploit them had been developed yet in the 1940s. People today sometimes speculate that the Japanese could have invaded Siberia instead of the Far East to secure the resources they needed, but my understanding is that that wasn't possible at the time. Comments welcome.

9. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

After Khalkhin Gor, the Japanese Kwangtung Army was scared sh*tless of the Soviet Red Army. They were not eager for Round II. It was easier to fight the Chinese.

10. Takao

Takao Ace

Other way around...The Kwangtung Army could not wait for a rematch. hence the Strike North and Strike South division. To bring the IJA onboard for the Strike South, they were promised that when the Pacific War successfully ended, in the summer of 1942, the IJA would be turned against the USSR some time in the late summer or early fall of 1942.

Riter likes this.
  11. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Thanks Takao. Wasn't aware of the Strike South and then Strike North strategy.

Wasn't China supposed to fall in a very short time too? Despite the disjointed Chinese command (warlord armies, Commies and the KMT), that didn't pan out and Japan found itself bogged down.

I read of Japanese who wanted to surrender to American PoWs in Manchuria. They'd rather be prisoners of the Americans instead of guests of Stalin.

12. GunSlinger86

I wonder why the Red Army handled Japan but couldn't take Finland?

13. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Second line troops who expected to be greeted as liberators by their communist brethren in Finland (Finland had a civil war against internal communist who lost). When the snow came, the Soviets bogged down and the Finns had greater mobility with their skis. The Finns used that mobility to isolate and cut up Soviet units.

The Finns were also more prepared for winter warfare. Saunas or warming bunkers so they could defrost. Soviet invaders had no such things.

Was told by a Finn that when he was a child, they were very grateful to their men who fought in those two wars (Winter War and Continuation War) against the Soviets. Most of those vets are gone now.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, Stalin believe the Red Army would be welcomed when they crossed the border.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  15. GunSlinger86

Does that mean you agree?

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, I see it quite true to what happened.

17. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..that seems to be a recurring idea.....most countries have at least 2, some many more, opposing groups.....so it's ''natural'' for invading countries to think at least 1 of those groups would welcome a foreign invasion to overturn the existing government ...same thought in the US for many decades

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The USSR had even a symphony made By Tsaivchovsky for the taking of Helsinki. No use for the symphony. We managed to stop the Red Army. At least until March.

19. Takao

Takao Ace

Tchaikovsky died in 1893...so, I don't think he would be writing any symphonies for the Soviets.

20. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Dmitri Shostakovich? He composed one for the Siege of Leningrad.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.