Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cpl. Otto W Whittington (ASN-06292507), US Army, Medical Dept. Jun. 24, 1920-Jul. 14, 2000 POW

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by CAW1, Apr 3, 2017.

1. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Cpl. Otto W. Whittington

POW-WWII- Pacific Theater

powmia.png

The following from Find-a-Grave memorial of SSGT Enoch A. Whittington (cousin)

From THE ABILENE (TX) REPORTER (10/14/1943)
    Four More Casualties Among West Central Texans.
    Four more casualties were reported yesterday among former National Guardsmen of West Central Texas who have been engaged in the Italian campaign. One man was listed as dead from battle wounds and the other three are missing in action.

Casualties were:

* S.Sgt. Enoch A. Whittington, 27, son of Mrs. Etta Whittington, 710 Colorado, Sweetwater, who died Sept. 19 of wounds suffered Sept. 9.

* S.Sgt. Dale B. Brown, son of Mrs. Ruby Lee Brown, manager of the Sloan Drug Store fountain, missing in action.

* Albert S. Kinser, son of Mrs. _ona Kinser, 126 Clinton, missing in action.

* Pvt. Gomeindo Soto, brother of Francisca Soto, 420 North 7th, missing in action.

These reports bring the total casualties from this area within the past week to 22. They are: five killed in action, two dead of battle wounds, five missing in action, and ten wounded in action.

Mrs. Whittington received a letter from a friend of Sgt. Whittington, dated Sept. 11, stating that he was wounded in action in Italy on Sept. 9 and had been evacuated to a hospital in North Africa. "My right leg was hit by a rifle bullet," he dictated to his friend.
    "I am getting the best of care and am starting to eat some good food again. After I get well enough to be moved, I will be sent to a hospital back in the states and will stay there until I am completely well," the letter continued.
    Sgt. Whittington left for overseas duty in April this year. On his last furlough home, November, 1942, he married Miss Katherine Bollinger. They have a son, Windell, two months old, whom he never saw. His wife and baby live with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Bollinger.

Other survivors are his brother, PFC Earl W. Whittington, on duty in North Africa; and three sisters, Mrs. Eula Boyd Commerce, Mrs. Eleanor King, and Miss Emily Whittington, all of Sweetwater. A cousin, Lt. Hillman Whittington, was killed in action in the Midway battle, and another cousin, Cpl. Otto Whittington, is a prisoner in a Japanese camp.

STATUS 8 Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated
    DETAINING POWER 2 JAPAN
    CAMP 601 Fukuoka POW Camp #1 - Kashii (Pine Tree Camp) Kyushu Island 33-130

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otto W Whittington : World War II POW : Japan

Otto W. Whittington (1920 - 2000) - Find A Grave Memorial

---

and his cousin Enoch:

SSGT Enoch A. Whittington (1916 - 1943) - Find A Grave Memorial

And their cousins from up North, Jeston C. and Otto K. :

http://www.ww2f.com/threads/pfc-jes...y-division-82nd-fab-batt-a.68776/#post-806636

Otto K Whittington, Jr (1925 - 2012) - Find A Grave Memorial

More cousins to come:

Army%20-%20Corporal_small.jpg PH.jpg prisoner-of-war-medal.jpg APMedal.jpg ACM.png VictoryMedalww2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017