Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Crosby "Brick Beach" Reveals Blitz Secrets

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Oct 5, 2019.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

And there are bound to be more.
    "An archaeology student is piecing together the story of the Liverpool buildings devastated in the May 1941 Blitz by sorting through beach rubble.
    Emma Marsh, 20, has enlisted an online community to help identify the origin of thousands of pieces of debris that were dumped on Crosby beach.
    Mountains of rubble were transported from the city for use in sea defences.
    But nearly 80 years later a "brick beach" is being revealed by shifting sand dunes.
    "I can see people's lives, people's homes amongst this rubble," said Ms Marsh, who is compiling a research project for her degree, at the University of Durham, based on her searches at the beach.
    For seven nights in May 1941 German bombers tried to flatten the city port, which was vital to the Allies' war effort.
    More than 4,000 people were killed or injured, with about 70,000 made homeless, as houses, shops, offices, hospitals and factories crumbled in the onslaught.
    Ms Marsh, from Manchester, has been on a mission to discover as much as she can about the buildings behind the bricks, stones and tiles at Crosby since she visited the beach with her family.
    "I told my professor what I had found and he said 'you are on to something'," she said.
    "If I come across something I will put it on Twitter and within minutes people who are experts and people who have lived in Liverpool all their life... they know these buildings, they know they style of architecture and they can be really helpful."
    She added: "Trying to find records of what was placed on the beach is very difficult - you've got to think of the scale of the destruction.
    "I don't think there was time to note where every little piece was going."
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-49926429?fbclid=IwAR1ac7ZQa9NZs7uBYOt02MDqnIoa6RD2Qcticp12lR9-f6VPQGXEJSYWkQ0

Martin Bull likes this.
  2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That is interesting.

Some years ago I picked about in a large pile of rubble adjacent to the former US 9th AF airbase at Willingale in Essex. Large amounts of rubble from blitzed buildings in London's East End were used as hardcore when the runways were laid and not all of it was needed.

Unlike the Liverpool relics, there was nothing architecturally significant but it was sad to find everyday things such as wallpaper, light switches and fittings etc.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Can't help wondering how many more of these dumps are still around waiting to be explored.