Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cry Farbe

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Nov 22, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    When I arrived at the battle in Grenada Mississippi I needed a haircut badly. there was way too shaggy a head under that schirmutze,(brimmed hat) so in the morning there was Will with a clippers and he basically shaved me bald. then when we got into the battle there was an SS man with a pony tail. and the italian alpini with a goatee, the allied commander also had a beard. So Will, my second in command sent them emails about farbiness. well, they didn't like being criticized as in fact no one really does like negative comments, overall the event was great but there were a few areas that could stand improvement. for one thing there was no formal Safety inspection or authenticty inspection, hence people could do pretty much what they wanted. Now that Will is speaking out, I am being attacked for my rank and my girth and my chestfull of awards. I mean here is this carpetbagging yankee with an Iron cross( both 1st and 2nd class),a wound badge an Infantry Assault badge, and a frozen meat award. hmmmmmmmmmm :roll: for that matter both Will and I are sort of large. so there.

2. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Cry Farbe?

Well, what ever Will (was he tunic36?) and you do in the privacy of your own unit why should we worry about what medals you wear, but, my own personal opinion is that to wear awards you are not entitled to is not correct and devalues the awards to the people who are entitled to them; it crosses the fine line between re-enacting and posing.Still like to see some photos though! :roll:
    Errrr! what's 'farbiness'?

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    what medals I wear

the wearing of a military uniform for any reason was strictly forbidden even in the land of the free and the home of the brave during ww2, It was called impersonating an officer or an enlisted man. things have changed. the wearing of decorations is spelled out in the by laws of the HRS, The Historical reenactment Society, and in various books such as Soldat XIc. for instance, an individual who participates in 15 battles can wear the Iron cross second class ribbon, and so forth, Medals for bravery such as the CMH the Victoria Cross are NEVER authorized to be worn by reenactors. Individuals who earned decorations in the Armed Forces are entitled to wear the equivalent decoration on their uniform provided the Unit commander is shown the DD214 ie service record of the soldier. here again I am a recipient of the ARCOM the army commendation medal and have documents. The Army has no objection to the wearing of any and all medals in the course of a reenactment. This is a role playing hobby, wearing medals does not imply that the reenactor has won the medal in any sense that the original recipients earned them. It is merely window dressing as some soldiers would most certainly be wearing awards in the area. I have been reenacting ww2 since 1983 even at the minimum required appearance that is three event per year and i did way more than that, I would have been in 23X3=69 battles, in addition my 20 years in the US Army and US Army National Guard allowed me to accumulate 4 rows of 3 ribbons and a block of hash marks stretching from my wrist to my elbow

4. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    as for the term farb farby farbiness it means you are not being authentically dressed or equipped or groomed or any other travesty of what was the norm during world war two, Long hair for instance is a farb as soldiers were required to have short hair, Nothing is farbier than an obese person dressed as an Airborne or SS soldier. carring an M16 rifle and wearing an M65 field jacket would also be considered a farb. we were reacting to seeing obvious departures from the standards spelled out in reenactor literature or the relaxing of standards meant to safeguard the lives of reenactors. In My impression I certainly look out of place wearing a majors shoulderboards and have 4 decorations, but that is because the do no know that I have all of that experience and awards, they live here in the Mid South and I am from the Mid west, to them a carpet bagging Yankee. My rank of Herr Major is what a feld farrer held and I wear shoulder boards because in addition to being hte KP or Kriegsparrer I an the 21st Inf Unit commander. so here i am a little overweight and wearing an officers uniform and rank. So I undestand why they saw red.

5. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    we saw red when we saw the Nazi flag on display, something expressly forbidden in most reenacting associations and not only was there a Nazi battle flag flying from the pole but there was a party flag prominently displayed. this was a tactical battle so there was no crowd of people from the general public to see the fahne hoch. die Hitler fahne - the banner raised- the Hitler flag. I have carried a battle flag with me but never diaplayed it. I also have pictures of the Fuhrer but they are kept out of sight.

6. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    cry farbe pix comming

oh I have all of my kampfgruppe Grenada pix on a disc so I will be sending you some evidence of what went on in Mississippi. We are from the wehrmacht yall,

7. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    yes, Will is Germantunic 36 and it is Will that is calling for higher standards. as for the privacy of our own unit theres no such thing. we interact with ten other axis and allied units . no reenacting in a vacuum this was a tactical battle which is to say the public wasnt there. It was fantasy Island for us. oh btw I shot two amis and was shot twice by them. then after killing people,I held divine service back in camp. I have both stills and a video of me wrestling not with flesh and blood but against principalities and powers and against spiritual wickedness in high places. I called upon the soldaten present to recognize Jesus Christ as a higher power than Adolph Hitler. Gestapo? what gestapo? help...... I'm innocent... heels dig into the floor as he is dragged off.

8. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How can you object to the flying of a NAZI flag when you are quite happy to wear Nazi madals and badges? Seems like double standards to me.
    Surely American Veterans Associations would object if I posed as a WW2 GI with 'Blue Citation' ribbon and 'Purple Heart'? I would not dream of wearing a 'Victoria Cross', DCM, MC, or any other gallantry medals including the 'Iron Cross', (or don't German awards count?)in any case in the UK it is a criminal offence.
    Sorry KP, to me it is morally wrong.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but in July 2006 you stated that you did 'three years regular army service', not twenty.
    Re, Farb, Farby, Farbyness, from what you say it basically means 'posing'?.

9. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    no, and it was 3 years regular army 17 years army national guard. a week end warrior. farb is from the German word for color, ie, wrong color wrong style . this is a lot like Monty Pythons Holy Grail we are somewhat tongue in cheek, we are reenACTORS. I did not create these rules about flags, medals etc. We are just trying to be consistant about their application, but to me it is glorious to wear a uniform and carry a weapon and portray SOLDIERS even if imperfectly. My first battle event was in may 1945 and so i have been hooked on Kriegspielen for 61 years.

10. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    My wife says it is morally wrong to reenact any aspect of the third Reich and that she has more clout than any Brit. so I do it anyway because its cool. i went to school with Harrison Ford and was an Army buddy of Kris Kristofferson, they are actors I am a reenactor with a speaking part. I have been an extra in at least 3 hollywood movies one documentary and had a bit part in JB by Archibald MacLEISH. SO THATS MY ZWEI PFENNIG :bang:

11. germanm36tunic

germanm36tunic New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :D

hey sounds like merlin still hates any one who is not British

:lol: :roll:

12. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There are other theories on the origin of the word "farb."

One is that it's derived from the disclaimer "Far be it from me..."

The other, somewhat more crude is that it's an acronym:

Feckin' Ain't Right, Boy!

Pick yer favorite!

13. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No, he's pointing out the double standard of not flying a Nazi Flag while wearing an Eagle with Swastika insignia on your tunic, also that the Iron Cross, like the VC or CMH, was an award for bravery in the field but you will wear one and not the other.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Based on what exactly? I'm not aware of Merlin ever expressing hatred any ethnic or cultural group in the years I've been on these forums.

15. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    cry Farb!!

My dear KP, at last, I knew you and I had something in common (but not much) like you I too was playing at soldiers in May.1945! :roll:
    Question. "Would you buy a used VW from these men?"

16. Grabbers

Grabbers New Member

via TanksinWW2
    these people scare me

17. germanm36tunic

germanm36tunic New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ha

wow! look you found me. way to go merlin. any news when the queen is going to die?

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Wow, once again you return to this forum and manage to post offensive, ill thought, xenophobic and small minded remarks again.

Grow up.

19. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    gosh I dont know how this keeps turning into a pissing contest. Will isnt my son. he soesnt live at my house etc. but I never critisize others for their being overweight or looking goofy because i do both of those well enough myself. As a matter of fact digs at a persons appearance are usually the marks of some one who is Juvenile. What I was trying to do was show and tell about Grenada Mississippi battle period.

20. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: Ha

what is the point in saying that? I cannot understand how that is a reasonable form of debate.