Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

D-Day question re: dates

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by dragonwench, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dragonwench

dragonwench New Member

I have my grandfathers journals from 1944-1945. The journal begins on August 12 1944. On August 15th 1944 he writes: "we've landed on French soil today somewhere in S. France. It's Dday and the infantry have just gone ashore. Our ships are giving them hell as is our constant stream of planes. Rumor is that the Nazis are retreating."
    I need some more information. I thought Dday was in June not August. Can someone please clarify things for me.

2. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Hi
    Since any planned date might change according to conditions, D Day is a term which was used to count down to a date (D), and also after (so D -1 or D +2). The term is most associated with Normandy invasion on 6th June 1944 but, as a veteran friend of mine is fond of reminding, there were many D days, H Hours, for different operations.

Do you with which unit your grandfather served?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

3. dragonwench

dragonwench New Member

Thank you for the information and the link. I do not know what unit he was in. His name was Walter Vanderbundt but everyone called him Slive. His brother was also in the army in a different unit but, they were able to see each other on occasion.

4. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Do you have any photos of him in uniform, any patches or insignia belonging to him, which you could post up?

5. dragonwench

dragonwench New Member

I have a picture of his dog tags that I can try to load.

Attached Files:

6. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Operation Dragoon was carried out 15th August 1944 in southern France. Designed to draw forces away from the fighting in Normandy which took place 6th June 1944. It was originally intended to coincide with the Normandy landings, but due to lack of landing craft amongst other factors was delayed until August.

7. dragonwench

dragonwench New Member

Thank you for the info.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore