Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dachau SS guards shot

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by bronk7, May 19, 2015.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

War is hell

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I still believe that the matter should be handled in legal ways first. Killing everybody without questions is not the answer. If that was, we killed practically everyone in Serbia for 1992-1996. Or the Turks for the Armenian genocide. Who´s the first to trow the stone? End of my political view and won´t return there. I agree they deserved the result but the big question is are we better than them...

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Totally agree Kai

4. Incessant

Incessant New Member

Well Said. I feel like this is correct view point and it was good that we had the trials at nuremberg.. however a trial is to prove guilt or innocence and assess punishment. I don't feel like proving guilt was necessary for the SS guards at the camps.
    If all of the SS were captured and stood trial I might feel differently about this scenario, but knowing that most got away scott-free (who was scott?) makes it hard feel anything but redemption and satisfaction at a story like this. Just my opinion.

5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I understand the need for the legal system....but I also look and see the situation in a ''realistic' way...sure, legally some shootings might be wrong....but I don't see it as much as if someone is better than someone else as much as the reality of the situation.....a lot of our laws now made by politicians sound and look like a great idea on paper, but when in a real situation, they are totally ridiculous....the humans -the GIs- saw and felt Dachau's horrors, so naturally, they vented, attacked, REacted to natural human emotion, etc...

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

There are two ways to look at it. One is the ideal, pie in the sky version where we believe situations, from afar, are manageable, and right and wrong is not a gray area. The other side believes that, in total war, at the end of this gruesome and arduous conflict, one in which you have witnessed horrors that no other regular person can fathom, one takes matters into their own hands. It's not black and white. I can't even begin to imagine the sheer anger and overwhelming emotion that one feels encountering a scene like this. Whichever the stance is...I cannot judge.

7. BenjaminJ

BenjaminJ New Member

Got what they deserved, good riddance.