Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dad's Army

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Highway70, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Highway70

Highway70 Member

Many episodes of "Dad's Army" are available on Youtube. It is a BBC TV sitcom about the British Home Guard in World War 2 which aired from 1968 to 1977..

Many of the TV episodes were later remade for radio. They are also available on Youtube.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Dont panic dont panic! They are on you tube...where they are dooomed! Doomed i tell ye...!

3. Oldecuriosity

Oldecuriosity New Member

Did anyone know that they tried to re-make it for the U.S? There is a pilot episode out there and needless to say, it was scrapped because it was so bad. It was called The Rear Guard:
    http://youtu.be/1q1ToUWu3Cc

Ben Dover likes this.
  4. Highway70

Highway70 Member

While a number of British sitcoms were successfully Americanized, the basic premise of Dad's Army (a force of volunteers too old. too young, or physically unfit for regular military service) doesn't work in America since there was really no danger of invasion by Germany or a successful invasion by Japan. The US had nothing comparable to the Home Guard. The threat of invasion of Britain by Germany was very real and Germany actually made some preparations to invade . In hindsight it appears that Germany was probably not capable of launching a successful cross Channel invasion (they didn't have the ships and landing craft needed to transport their army), but that was not known at the time.

5. Oldecuriosity

Oldecuriosity New Member

There's me thinking it flopped because the actors couldn't act and the production was lousy. Some things are best left alone eh?

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Shut up Pike...

7. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Suprisingly....a few years ago I was busy googling around for "home guard manuals"....and discovered a HUGE number of American ones online!!!

It would seem that quite a few U.S. states did indeed constitute a "Home Guard" during the war; I don't think it was anywhere near as well organised as the UK version, and certainly not nationwide....I'm not sure uniforms etc. were formally issued, for example - or if they were, it was on a per-state basis if it was done or not.....

But it's a topic worth finding out more about.

Oldecuriosity likes this.
  8. Highway70

Highway70 Member

9. Takao

Takao Ace

With the federalization of the state National Guard units, FDR signed the State Guard Act in October, 1941. Of course, the names varied(Home Guard, Reserve Defense Force, State Guard, State Guard Reserve, State Militia, etc.), here in Pennsylvania, the State Guard was was called the Pennsylvania Reserve Defense Corps, before changing it's name in 1943 to the Pennsylvania State Guard.

10. Highway70

Highway70 Member

I looked up googled State Guard and read some of the articles about them . While trained so they could perform military functions if necessary, their primary purpose was to perform the normal peacetime functions of the National Guard units called into Federal service, although they also performed guard and patrol functions that would have been performed by the NG they were available. Some of them were formed in 1939-40 period. Before FDR signed the State Guard Act in 1941.

11. green slime

green slime Member

Dad's Army was one of my grandfather's favourite series.

12. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

13. André7

André7 Active Member

Anyone looking forward to the new movie adaptation?

14. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Each character is so well loved and the series is an institution. Will be an extremely hard act to follow therefore I do not have high hopes of the new movie being a success.

15. Cromulent

Cromulent New Member

I've got all the Dad's Army episodes on DVD :).

Always a favourite to watch when feeling a little under the weather. Perks you up no end!

16. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Toki, even the film adaptation of the original series feels a bit "off" because of tall the issues they had with the BBC over copyright etc. forcing changes on them. I like it, but it feels...distinct?....from the television series.

17. André7

André7 Active Member

Please let the movie be good! The trailer looks awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLEhGWIdWag