Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

David M. Glantz's Massive new Stalingrad Trilogy

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Wolfy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Volume 1 out of 3 has arrived:

[​IMG]

Skipper likes this.
  2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

You're such a tease, spill some beans chum...

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

I haven't read it yet, but it's the usual Glantz treatment- great detail, lots of maps/pictures, and a lot of fine details on strategy, tactics, organization, and logistics for the summer of 1942.

The first volume is 750 + pages long and I am assuming the rest will be around the same.

4. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

ON THE LIST!
    JeffinMNUSA

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Speaking of the image on this book that is posted here. I now own an original copy of it. Another member here kindly pointed out that it is a staged propaganda picture and is part of a series of photographs that were staged. This member said it was explained in Jason Marks book: Angriff.

6. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Amazing info, thanks Mr. Evans.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome. Oh and BTW, the photo is allegedly from the NKVD (Forefather of the KGB) photo Archives as its stamped as such on the back-in Cyrillic of course.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ah Carl that photo is in the belongings of the Bundesarchives printed in 1942 and can be purchased as a copyfrom the archives for a fee

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

screw it I cannot find it at the moment but it also may have been a Ullstein copyright back in the 40's

here ya go for ambiance

10. hucks216

hucks216 Member

The sequence of how the photo was staged features on Pages 184-187 of Angriff by Jason D Mark (ISBN:978-0-97510-767-6). As well as the photographer (PK Geller) who took the shot there was also another photographer (PK Sautter) and a cameraman present and it is the latter two's photos of the 'event' that is shown. The two soldiers were apparently part of a small patrol from the 24 Pz Div that just happened to be passing and PK Geller saw his chance of getting a good photo.

Wolfy and Kai-Petri like this.
  11. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Staged? NEVER!

The next thing you are gonna tell me that Rommel didn't fry eggs on the armor plate his panzer!!!! :D

This book obviously is on my reading list as well. Thanks Wolfy for breaking the news.

12. hucks216

hucks216 Member

No he didn't - it was bacon!! :D

13. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Colon. Hans von Luck mentions doing this in North Africa, and they show it on the newsreels.

It seems extremely unsanitary to me- I'd rather eat the egg raw.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

thanks huck for the PK photographers.

In a book from 1968 I have the said photo copyrighted by Sado Opera Mundi/Ullstein photographic archives

15. fast1

fast1 Member

sounds pretty interesting, do you know whats the rest of the volumes on?[​IMG]

16. hucks216

hucks216 Member

I have a David Glantz book published in 2008 titled After Stalingrad - The Red Army's Winter Offensive 1942-1943 (ISBN: 978-1-906033-26-2) so will this be incorporated into the new trilogy under a different title or will it act as a stand alone book? There seems to be a fair bit of scope for confusion with the books he is pushing out.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, Hucks, thanks both of you for the additional info. It's great to know where the "REAL" original of this photo is kept. My copy is stamped as being made in 1944 sometime? This period copy was from a large collection of of NKVD and GPU photos that were for sale. I don't have the baskside of the pic scanner or anything otherwise I would hope the stamp would easily be readable. The stamp is faint as well as the name of the company that made the photograph card stock that they used to make copies of them after the war ended.

I had to "correct" the dealer on the wares that he was selling as he claims these are all "THE" originals. I bought in total, 12 of these NKVD Archive pics from him and some have names and such typed on the backs of them. The STaingrad pic doesn't have that kind of info on it unfortunately.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sounds like a nie item to put on my Birthday list!

19. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Hi, hucks, no, After Stalingrad has no relation to the Stalingrad Trilogy, the second volume "Armageddon in Stalingrad", it will be released on the 15th of october, it will be 864 pages long, and encompasses the period between September and November 1942, the third volume is yet unamed and it will probably be released in the spring or summer 2010.

"After Stalingrad" deals with the wake of the Red Army's victory at Stalingradm in early February 1943, the STAVKA expanded it's counteroffensive into a full-fledged winter offensive which nearly collapsed the German southern Russia defenses (Donbas and Khar'kov regions in February 1943. It also describes the subsequent feats of von Manstein, the counterstrike that restored stability to the front and paved the way to the Kursk offensive in the summer.
    The interesting thing about this book, and in my opinion its main point of interest, is that on one hand the Russian historians, anxious to conceal the ambitiousness of its offensive, and, at the same time, preserve the reputation of the Red Army, avoided describing the offensive's true scope and the many failures and shortcomings the Red Army experienced. On the other and, western historians, frequently based their accounts on inaccurate Soviet sources, focused only on the most dramatic aspects of the offensive.
    This volume, reveals the ambition that shaped the STAVKA's winter offensive and the full scope and scale of the Red Army's many offensive operations. For example, it reflects on the recently-rediscovered Operation Mars, Zhukov's companion-piece to the more famous Operation Uranus at Stalingrad. It the reexamines the Red Army's dramatic offensive into the Donbas and Khar'kov region during february, clearly demosntrating that this offensive indeed conducted by three rather than two Red Army front.
    It describes how the STAVKA expanded the scale of its offensive in mid-february 1943 by ordering major strategic efforts by multiple Red Army fronts along the Western (Orel-Smolensk) axis and, in Zhukov's forgotten operation Polar Star, along the Northwestern (Demiansk-Leningrad) axis as well.
    Finally, by restoring the full scope of these failed or partialy failed Red Army offensives, this volume also reassesses the impact of Manstein's dramatic counterstrokes in the Donbas and Khar'kov regions.

As usual, the main focus is the Soviet point of view, but in my opinion (knowing Glantz) the German side is well represented. Expect the usual Glantz dryness.

By the way, my "To the Gates of Stalingrad" arrived today, it cost me about €25 on the bookdepository.

Cheers!

Wolfy likes this.
  20. R. Evans

R. Evans Member

Looks good.

Interesting sidenote here, the cover of Richard J. Evans' The Third Reich At War has the same picture.:eek:
    [​IMG]