Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Death by Snake Bite?

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by superbee, Jan 4, 2012.

1. superbee

superbee Member

Do any of you know of any written accounts of Allied military personnel dying from venomous snake bite during the war? I know battles were fought in the Pacific theatre in areas inhabited by species of venomous snakes. It seems like an especially abhorrent way to die.

2. Marmat

Marmat Member

3. superbee

superbee Member

That would be a bad way to go.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmmm...can think of worse...they dont eat you at first...they drown you, then stash you under something (usually submerged branch) and let decomposition and the water soften you up...they then (after a week or two) just tear bits off the "tender" carcass.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

6. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

7. superbee

superbee Member

As if the hazards of war were not enough. Horrifying to think you could be poisoned, killed, even eaten by a reptile.

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

There used to be a "joke" about the snakes in the Asian/Pacific theater; There are at least a hundred kind of snakes that can kill you in this area, about 95 of them bite you and leave you to die, the other 5 species can simply squash the life out of you and swallow you whole.

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Death by croc? I think I'd rather get stabbed in the heart by a stingray. ;) (Was that too soon?)

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Never Tommy! Nice of him to show the world not to mess with large creatures one doesnt properly understand.
    One only has to make the animal a human in these situations to realise that of course this animal is going to wonder what the heck you're up to...what are you trying to do? Im just minding my own business and you're approaching me like you're stalking me...and you're getting closer...you are now trying to make contact on me...well i gotta fight or run...the stingray fought then ran. Respect.

11. larso

larso Member

In The Sharp End by Ellis I think, he wrote that three Commonwealth soldiers died of snake bite in WW2. It may have just been UK servicemen though - I can't quite recall the specifics?