Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Deutsche Soldaten' - German militaria book

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Martin Bull, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I saw this when it was published last years but didn't want to pay full price - 'Deutsche Soldaten - Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items Of The German Soldier 1939-1945' by Agustin Saiz ( Casemate, ISBN 978-1-932033-96-0 ).

This is a hefty book, running to 311 A4 glossy pages filled with colour photos, close-ups and descriptions of Wehrmacht equipment. This isn't one for colelctors of awards, but if you're into the minutiae of what the German soldier wore and carried, this will be of considerable interest. Everything is here, from the MP44 and MG42 to the Feldfernsprecher 33, from rifle grenades to cigarette papers. I like the fact that photos of re-enactors aren't used (as with Histoire & Collections publications, for instance ). It's a personal prejudice of mine, but re-enactors just don't look '1940s' to me. Instead, colour photos of the equipment are used in every case, with plenty of contemporary colour and monochrome pics.

In substance, it's a bit like Cyrus Lee's old 'Soldat' booklets ( which actually get a name-check in the bibliography ). A comprehensive, one-volume book which will enable me to identify those small things lying in the fields at Falaise or on militaria fair stalls.

Also, I got mine - slightly 'bumped' on one corner - for less than half-price from an 'Amazon Marketplace' seller.

I'm pleased ! :)

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This sounds greatly similar to The Handbook of the German Army in WWII book I have. That book is exactly like what you described this book as-only most of it uses only B&W pics.

3. Martin Bull

Yes, this really is very comprehensive. I was just about to 'mark it down' for excluding the Close-Combat Knife ( nahkampfmesser ) but there it is, on p.152.....

This must be why I like this book - it includes all the bits and pieces I have ! :eek:

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin were ever able to gaze upon the volumes by J.R. Angolia.... ? classics every one

5. Martin Bull

Hello Erich

No, I haven't - although John Angolia's books are published by Bender and as such are not easy to acquire in the UK (and expensive to boot !).....

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

And boy howdy they sure are expensive. I saw some listed on a German Dealers site for almost $300 per volume. Here I can still find them for sale starting at about $60 per-depending on which dealer you go to?

7. Martin Bull

:eek: - I prefer my militaria books to come a little cheaper ! I paid less than that for my MP40.....;)

8. pfarber

pfarber Member

I agree its an excellent reference. So much more the the GI Collectors Guide.. although I have not seen VOL II, since I was not impressed by Vol 1.

Its my first reference on German equipment... but its a pretty good start.

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

I bought Deutsche Soldaten on impulse just after christmas (that irresistable 'shiny book' feeling... I knew it would cost less on Amazon but just had to have it in the bookshop - it was the entire section on 'underwear' that did it for me...splendid nerdish detail :shifty: ).

I'm rather impressed overall. The 'theme' of following a single soldier's course through the war doesn't really work for me (maybe a problem with the mildly peculiar translation/language), but the presentation of artifacts is superb. When I compare it to other titles from the past we really do live in a lucky age regarding picture reproduction.
    I've read one or two slightly critical reviews of certain details from Internet Uber-nerds but it not really being my area I'm very pleased with this Dorling Kindersley style 'Bumper Book of German Gear'.

If anyone fancies it I'd recommend getting in there soonish - I've already seen it for sale at ludicrous prices from the dealers and have a suspicion it'll become one of those very expensive secondhand 'classics' over time.
    Some Hi-res spreads from the publisher can be found here - Casemate - Deutsche Soldaten

~A

10. Martin Bull

I'd say that's a pretty fair summing-up, Adam. It may not tell you every detail of everything, but I've already found it useful for simply identifying objects which I've seen before without realising their purpose. It's certainly one of the most useful militaria books I've bought for a long time.......