Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

DH 98 Best Bomber WWII

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by P-Popsie, Nov 8, 2008.

1. P-Popsie

P-Popsie Member

De Havilands DH 98 was considered by many to of been the finest Bomber of the second world war There are many reasons for this speed, payload, versatility, survivability, to name a few. Whats your thoughts people?

Attached Files:

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

3. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

PP,

Careful mate, suggesting a non US aircraft is the best is not recommended.

NEVER point out that a Mosquito could take a B.17s load to Berlin, and come back on ONE engine.

;-)

John.

4. P-Popsie

P-Popsie Member

I was kinda hoping to generate a similar conversation to one i have been participating in on the WWII Aircraft forum but that site seems to have gone into the ether in the last week. But your right i have heard some outlandish claims, The best so far that a B17 could lift a 17,000lbs payload.

5. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Fan boys...German or American it's still annoying :)

Cheers...

6. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

PP,

"The best so far that a B17 could lift a 17,000lbs payload."

I think it could, but only if you carried enough fuel for a trip from Dover to Calais and back.

The best it could take to Berlin was 4000 lbs or thereabouts, depending again on fuel, height, etc.

John.

7. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

....and a DH-98 really COULD put a bomb in a pickle barrel, at 400 mph at 50' if needed.

And fight its way back against all opposition.

John.

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

No offense. But you are comparing two types of aircraft. They were designed for two different purposes. Just like comparing a light tank with a heavy/medium tank. These types of discussions tend to lead nowhere. BTW most sources state that the usual bombload of a Mossie is 2000 lbs.

9. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

Just being mischievous!

;-)

John

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Of course I did forget the 4000lb "Cookie" bomb LOL. Of course that wasn't a standard payload and could barley fit in the Mossie.

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'm definitely not getting involved in yet another 'Best...' argument - they always end in tears....

But the Mosquito B.XVI could and regularly did carry a 4,000lb Cookie without significant modification ( other than the 'standard' bulged bomb-bay of this Mark ). Not only that, but in the LNSF during 1944/45 these aircraft would carry a 'Cookie' to Berlin - twice in one night....

You can see the Cookie on its trolley here.....

[​IMG]

12. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

......AND the only aircraft that looked prettier was its baby brother, the 'Hornet'.

It could do 450mph standing still.

John

13. Firefoxy

Firefoxy Dishonorably Discharged

I beg to differ in a nice girly way.
    HI OZjohn,But it's true though. A British Mosquito is just as good or even better than the American aircraft B.17s, infact in my eyes even better.

Mosquito is one of the best and an awsome aircraft, and the American B-17s was an great ww2 plane. Why can't he have he's own opinion?

It wasn't only American technolghy that won the war,Britain had something to offer in ww2- Mosquito and Spitfire, but i understand people bagging the British tanks though,British tanks had very poor design.
    The Allies was not just America-If it was just America, Germany would of won ww2. Nothing against Americans, a comment was said about only mention Americans Aircraft, I don't think that it right.:)

14. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Well, blatantly copying Von Poop:

My knee just jerked so hard!!!
    *cough*Centurion*cough*

Cheers...

15. White Flight

White Flight Member

Agreed and note a B-17 will also fly on one engine.

16. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

For how long?

17. Firefoxy

Firefoxy Dishonorably Discharged

Hey, I never even saw van poops posts. I already knew that informaion for myself.
    I only read the last post.
    Girls can research ww2 just like men can.

18. P-Popsie

P-Popsie Member

Without a doubt just rattling the cage to see who's interested as always Martin your posts are accurate and illustrative just looking to get some feel for who's in the air up here?:pinkpanther:

19. P-Popsie

P-Popsie Member

To a certain extent this is true but Geoffory De Haviland did intend for the DH 98 to replace the slower heavier bombers and in fact if you follow his logic and verbalized intentions of the time, had large scale production been undertaken in the dominions, specificially Canada & Australia. Then the question begs would the USAF have had to throw away so many young lives against the walls of Fortress Europe. I do beleive that the DH 98 is one of the few, if not only UK aircraft to have been sold in any number to the US. What might of been had there been 800 of these planes available for American consumption rather than the 80 or so they actually bought.

So I do actually think its fair to compare the DH 98 to the B17 as it was designed to complete the obsoleteness of Aircraft such as the B 17. Had the RAF followed the Daylight bombing idea, the Lancaster and its contemporaries may very well of taken on a range of add on gun emplacements. Some of the first lancasters did in fact sport a belly gunner aft of the bomb bay. But bombing by night and having an effective night fighter force { Coincidentally manned heavily by the DH 98 } the RAF found their equasion to effective Bombing.

20. P-Popsie

P-Popsie Member

The Lancaster also was able to fly on one engine a risky proposition though and certainly not for long (have seen a photo in freinds collection of Lincon with three feathered at about sixty feet over Garbut Airfield in the late fifties)

Don't know of any lancs comming home on one, would be interested to hear of a B 17 which did. Will give the forts their dues though my goodness they could take punishment.

:ww1ace: I just can't help but think that they were bullet magnets!:ww1ace: