Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Did MacArthur pocket $500,00?

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by scipio, Oct 29, 2012.

1. scipio

scipio Member

I know MacArthur is a controversial figure but I never heard of this accusation before:

[​IMG]
    Knowing little of the Pacific War myself and since there a lot of American experts on this site - is there any foundation to this? If so why would FDR turn a blind eye?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

It pop's up pretty frequently on discussions of Mac. I don't remember the details but it wasn't quite as clear as the above would impy.

By the way you really should give a source when you post something like that.

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

It is true, and exactly as the article implies. Eisenhower was offered a similar (but smaller) gold transfer for his "help" in the Philippines, but he declined. I believe he didn't like the "smell" of the money. FDR had to semi-approve the gold transfer to Mac, since while he had retired officially he hadn't resigned and that is a difference since as a retired general staff officer he could be called up and it was illegal for him to accept money from the country he was "advising". Howeever if he had resigned he would have been free of D.C. entanglements. That money was most likely "legal" in the circumstances, since it was done without Presidential interference from FDR.

He took the money. End of story. Here is a link to one of the last times I read about Big Mac's "reward". I believe it is also recorded in Philippine legislative history as Presidential Order #1 by Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel Quezon. Philippine history should suffice as a source.

Goto:

American Experience . MacArthur . People & Events | The Secret Payment (January - February, 1942) | PBS

4. scipio

scipio Member

It from the "Sacrifice of Singapore" by Michael Arnold. There is only one chapter "Provocation of Japan" which non-Malaya and where there is this allegation.

I did do a search on this topic before raising it, since I could not believe it - could not see anything - sorry if it has been discussed before.

Anyway thanks for the info.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Internet searches used to be easy to execute and find what you want. They have become much more of an arcane art in recent years. If you look for threads dedicated to Mac on most forums such as this one or Axis History you will see it discussed in some detail. If you haven't already found out Mac is a historical figure that tends to provoke rather extreme reactions. Some are very pro others quite the opposite. I'm personally rather ambivalant but tend to a somewhat negative view while acknowledgeing that he did make some very important contributions.

belasar likes this.
  7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Much as I feel as well.

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

When I read that Mac left the scene in the Philippines with his whole entourage-15-20(?) people, when wounded could have been removed instead of his housekeeper/nanny etc, I lost all respect...Plus his enormous ego rubbed me wrong. ..But he got stuff done, so....