Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Did most of the Russian soldiers use helmets?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Landsknecht, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Landsknecht

Landsknecht Member

As the title says: Did most of the Russian soldiers use helmets?

I have gotten the impression that in the Red Army, field caps were more common than in the other armies, but is there any truth to this? Was field caps mostly used by second-line infantry, artillery crews and the like, where head protection wasn't as important? Or was it common for soldiers at the front? If so, to what extent?

I'm mostly thinking about summer here. I think that in the winter at least, helmets were less common since they didn't provide enough warmth.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I dont know for sure but, I do have several photos with many Russian soldiers in them and in most of them, they were wearing their Pilotkas (Overseas cap) but I do have a couple that show a ffew wearing their helmets and in at least one-shows a Russian Tank Crewman who had been captured and he was wearing his tank crew helmet.

I dont remember from which book I read that I got this from but, the book was-or at least the paragraphs I read was-written by a Russian Soldier. In it (not exactly his words as I cant remember them) but, he said that most preferred to wear the Pilotka as a matter of preference because of uniform style, lighter than a helmet and about as protective as a helmet was if they were going to get shot or hit by schrapnel. I THINK this might have been mentione in either: Penalty Strike by: Alexander Pyl'Cyn or could have been mentioned in: Island of Fire by: Jason Mark.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Majority of the photos showing Russians in battle show them with helmets on. Most photos with helmets off are usually posed photos.

4. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Every red army solder had a helmet. Some had caps to go under the helmet. I don't believe marines had helmets

5. Landsknecht

Landsknecht Member

OK. Thanks for the answers, guys!

6. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

Most of them hated the helmets cause they were so cheap. I have one in my colletion, and the metal on it is so thin, it's not worth wearing in combat.

C.Evans likes this.
  7. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Any protection even if minimal could have served to the advantage of a soldier in combat.

Similar question was asked on the Axis History Forum a few years ago, unfortunately no concrete answer was found.

Axis History Forum • View topic - Soviet soldiers wearing helmets?

8. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

My understanding of this, from personal accounts by Russian soldiers, was that many of them shunned wearing a helment as sort of unmanly and cowardly. While troops were issued helments and many unit's officers not only expected them to be worn but ordered this, many soldiers ignored this and went with a soft cap.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

That basically sums it up from what I read that was published by the Russians. As im thinking of it-I believe that the Penal Company Commander: Alexander Pyl'Cyn also talked about it in his excellent book; Penalty Strike. If I ever get the time and can dig out hsi book, ill see if i can find what he may have mentioned about the helmet situation.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Alot of Germans did the samething. Ive seen a lot of combat footage and photos that show Germans going into battle weariong their M-43 caps and some wearing their overseas caps (ie) tank crewmen and such.