Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Discharge Paperwork Questions

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by JD Hamrick, Apr 5, 2010.

1. JD Hamrick

JD Hamrick recruit

Hello,
    I'm doing some research on my grandfather's WWII discharge paperwork. There are a couple things on it that I can't figure out.

1. His discharge states "Army of the United States", but wasn't it the "Army Air Corps" back then? His service was from 7 JUL 1943 to 7 MAR 1946. He served in the 16th Bomb Group, 17th Bombardment Squadron in Guam.

2. In block 31 (Military Qualifications and Date) it shows "Driver Badge; S R APR 44" - what does the "S R APR 44" stand for?

3. In block 33 (Decorations and Citations) is the "ATO MED" the same thing as the American Campaign Medal?

4. In block 40 (Reason for Separation) what does the following mean..."AR615-365 CONVN OF GOVT AND TWX WAR X-83226 (SERVICE)".

5. Does anyone have information on the 17th Bombardment Squadron? I've found some history documents on the internet for the 16th Bomb Group, but nothing so far at the squadron level.

6. Does anyone have a good source to purchase WWII medals, badges, etc. for a shadow box.

Thanks in advance.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Could you post a copy of the form, it makes it easier to figure out the information.

AUS simply means he was a draftee.

There were three broad categories of men in the US Army, of which the Air Force was a part of at the time.

1. Regular Army - Men who were active dutry prior to the war or who joined prior to being drafted.

2. National Guard

3. Army of the United States (AUS) - Draftees

The men of each group had a differing series of serial numbers, depending on many factors.

These men were then placed in units as needed. Generally early on, there a bit of favoritism shown to Regular Army where leadership billets were concerned.

Block 31 - SR APr 44 probably references the qualification standard he met to merit the badge.

Block 40 - It means he was released from duty "at the convenience of the government" They no longer had a reason to have him on active duty, the war was over.

3. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Teletypewriter Exchange Service (TWX), a switched teleprinter network.

33. DECORATIONS AND CITATIONS

Good Conduct Medal

[​IMG]FRONT [​IMG] [​IMG]BACK

The Good Conduct Medal is awarded for exemplary behavior, efficiency, and fidelity in active Federal Military service. It is awarded on a selective basis to each soldier who distinguishes himself/herself from among his/her fellow soldiers by their exemplary conduct, efficiency, and fidelity throughout a specified period of continuous enlisted active Federal military service. Qualifying periods of service include each three years completed after 27 August 1940 or, for first award only, upon completion of at least one year upon termination of service if separated prior to three years. The immediate commander must approve the award and the award must be announced in permanent orders.

ATO Medal

[​IMG]FRONT [​IMG] [​IMG]BACK

ASIATIC-PACIFIC CAMPAIGN MEDAL
    a. The Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal was awarded to personnel for service within the Asiatic-Pacific Theater between 7 December 1941 and 2 March 1946 under any of the following conditions:

1. On permanent assignment.
    2. In a passenger status or on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days or 60 days not consecutive.
    3. In active combat against the enemy and was awarded a combat decoration or furnished a certificate by the commanding general of a corps, higher unit, or independent force that he actually participated in combat.
    b. The eastern boundary of the Asiatic-Pacific Theater is from the North Pole, south along the 141st meridian west longitude to the east boundary of Alaska, then south and southeast along the Alaska boundary to the Pacific Ocean, then south along the 130th meridian to its intersection with the 30th parallel north latitude, then southeast to the intersection of the Equator and the 100th meridian west longitude, then to the South Pole. The western boundary of the Asiatic-Pacific Theater is from the North Pole south along the 60th meridian east longitude to its intersection with the east boundary of Iran, then south along the Iran boundary to the Gulf of Oman and the intersection of the 60th meridian east longitude, then south along the 60th meridian east longitude to the South Pole. The Asiatic-Pacific Theater included Alaska, Hawaii, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, and all of Asia.

Note: This may be wrong. I searched the Internet and found "ATO Medal" listed on discharge papers with no explanation as to what it meant. I did however find on a few sites where they had (Asian Theater of Operations Medal) after "ATO Medal". Would love to hear from anyone who knows the correct information on the "ATO Medal".

Army of the United States
    Honorable Discharge Papers see link

33. DECORATIONS AND CITATIONS
    Good Conduct Medal, ATO Medal, World War II Victory Medal

Jimmie B. Harp, U. S. Army Discharge Papers

4. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

It takes about 6 months, but I would say since you have your grandfathers discharge papers just send out the sf-180 and request the medals, its free of charge to vets and next of kin.

Military Personnel Records, SF-180

If you would rather not wait I would check maybe around town or a 25 mile radius for militaria stores.

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Spaniard, you're correct on the ATO Campaign Medal. I'm not promoting any particular vendor, but I've had good service with Saunders and Medals of America to purchase medals for a display. With common medals like the ones listed, a good source is the WWII category on Ebay--sometime you can actually get a WWII vintage medal compare to the modern versions sold by the retail stores for a good price. (the changes are in the way the ribbon is attached-can't tell the difference in a display). A picture of the vet makes a nice addition--show us when you're done. It's always worth the wait to have the archives send the records and supply a replacement set of medals. Many times they catch items that were omitted on the separation papers.