Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dishonorable Discharges

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by applevalleyjoe, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

Moderators have a policy of not discussing the reasons why specific members have been dishonourably discharged. But there is a downside to this, in that we see people disappearing without knowing exactly what they did that overstepped the line.

I think this creates a bit of uncertainty among members, who aren't sure why some people, whose visible comments seem reasonable, have suddenly disappeared. Some comments in this thread seem to reflect such an attitude, and I share it to a certain extent. Though I have said controversial things sometimes, I try to keep my own comments as much as possible to positive ones.

Nevertheless, I think it might be helpful if, in addition to the rules, a few specific examples of bannable offences were provided. To avoid revealing private details, these could be fictional but realistic. Perhaps, that way, some of those who are uncertain may be reassured.

2. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

Not exactly.

It is clearly stated in the rules that which offences are suitable for immediate suspension without consultation(read Spammers, and those guys who disrespect vets etc....)

Neo-Nazis may be tolerated (as i think the server is situated in the USA, and there is no express law forbidding the hunting down of neo nazi's)as long as they openly don't preach Nazism etc... but they would be welcomed with restriction, and perhaps it will explode on the slightest mistake.

We also have to be careful of not to openly flame any Vets/Admins/Mods and users, without proof (as in "Dude, you suck! your theory sucks even more! I dont know wtf you are doing in this forum...." and the like)

Also, we must be pretty civil as possible, watching our languages, method of approach to problems and situations etc....

These are the general code of conduct to be followed, though specifics may be found in the rules.

How would you not want to get banned and maintain a good face in front of others??

Simple.

-Read the Rules

- Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you

-Clarify the meaning if you did not understand a message
    unless expressly clear

-Remember that Admins and Mods are Humans
    with emotions rather than emotionless computers. Whatever you say to them, they would respond to it as another human would

-DO NT SPK IN SHRTHND OR WRT IN CPTLS!
    Do not write a message as if you are texting it on your phone (no short hand, or phonetically correct words with hazardous spelling. Write in long hand as it is easier to read.
    Since a computer screen is devoid of emotions, WRITING IN CAPITALS draws unnecessary attention to yourself, and is akin to screaming out loud in a megaphone into a person's ear.
    Hence avoid it :)

-Being respectful
    even in the face of flaming rants shows your maturity, and the flamer's immaturity. Try to tackle him in a subtle way, without loosing your temper, and if things get out of hands, you can always report them.

-Break up your text
    into small paragraphs as it is easier to read.

-Go the pm way
    If you still want to "Have it out" with a member, and do not post on the public forums of any of your conversations / views.It will be more appreciated. But be civil or they will grab and thrust pitchforks at you. Remember you are not the center of the universe.
    Heck. if you are doing this, you are not even in the galaxy...

Remember that though pm's,and all communications via the board(inclusive of visitor messages, and especially mail sent via the board's software.) can be reported, and action can be taken against you if it is done so. More Here

-Think twice before submitting
    As i learned recently, topics that would be perfect in a gaming community would be frowned upon by the history community. Think twice before you post anything! if you think its inappropiate always ask a moderator first. They'd be glad to help.

At the same time, do not go about pm'ing the mods/admins for every query you have, use the search function, then use the forums, and IF it is a private issue, you pm the mods/admins.

-Mods are not your servants
    Hence it would be appreciable if you would try to mutually solve your problems among yourselves before asking a mod to step in.

-Be to the point, direct and brief
    People do not have all the time in the world to read your posts, so it helps if you do it.

-Respect the heirarchy
    in both age and rank.

-Abolish Flame wars!
    Whats a flame? well, to be frank, the candid thoughts that run through your mind as soon as you think of the person you hate through your nose.
    When those emotions are unleashed in text on the net... well the other guy is not gonna keep quiet. He will respond in a more harsher tone and drag in a third guy.
    This goes on and on untill finally you see only swear words and the point of discussion is lost.

-Respect Other's opinion,
    or expect the same treatment for your opinions.
    Thoughts are posted because the poster feels that it would make a contribution, and rarely for the heck of it.
    If you feel a topic is deviating, point it out politely and start a new thread (if appropiate) about it.

-Remember community forums are like a society.
    You have to Give and take. Parasites are not welcomed

-Sorry, Please, Thank you.
    Try to fit in these as much as you can in your posts (of course to a certain limit)

-No peek a boo's and peeping toms!
    Respect others privacy and refrain from peeking into pm boxes, by all means possible!
    Of course a hack attack, would spell oblivion to you, and note that nowadays we can zero in on your residential address even if you use proxy.
    Do not post pm's without the express permissions of the user as well!

-Thou shalt not steal
    Respect others posts/news/articles...etc.
    if you like it and post it somewhere, be sure to link back to the source.
    if you wrote it on your own, just add "article by ....." in the end.

-Do not post pad
    / AKA Post just for the heck of posting it, to raise your post count.
    It may be interpreted as spamming and you may be shown the doors.

-Remember Big Brother is watching you
    all your messages are stored in the server, and if issues come / dragged to legal side, they can be used against you). You might argue that your privacy is violated, but thats tough luck as it is a part of the package deal.

-Backtrack

If you get a warning, always backtrack, see from the bird's eye view, put yourself in other's shoes, and see your post as if it's coming from another. If you still didnt get the message....oh well there are other ways ;)

-There is a purpose behind the sheriff badge
    Remember that the mods, and admins have been appointed because they are really good, and not by a lottery.
    Do not be envious, but listen to their advice, if not remember they have the final word. Always.

-Read the Rules

-Have Fun
    It finally boils down to whether you enjoyed your stay in the community or not.

Also keep in mind that none of the staff like to ban (especially in the case of older/long time members).
    That is they dont get points for banning a person, but the community looses him.
    It's a no win situation.

If you do not like one aspect of the forum, fair enough. membership is only on a voluntary basis, and you are free to leave and make your own forums, but as long as you are in a community, better look up the Do's and Dont's of the same.

I wrote this from my experience in public forums, and it is my experiences only.
    Your experiences might differ, but the general gist is always the same.

i hoped it helped.

Regards,
    TBA

LRusso216, Slipdigit and Tomcat like this.
  3. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Just consider this place to be like your girl friends parents house, you may not like every one here or how it is run, but don't try to start anything or daddy will throw you out.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

heh heh, I cant remember who I gave the flame to but I had wanted to give it badly, to SS Hauptsturmfurher-but by that time, it was null and void.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good set of suggestions, BA. Well worded and thought out.

PMs are still subject to rules on civility. You go viciously blasting someone and it gets forwarded to a moderator, it will be treated as though it was posted in the forum.

6. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

we'll at least we have an idea who the future mod wil be!! :D

7. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

Aye, i forgot to mention that. Thanks.

But it not only applies to pm's, but any and all communications (inclusive of visitor messages, and especially mail sent via the board's software.)

But just as a side note from one member to another, try to solve your disputes among yourselves, first before hitting on the shiny red report button.
    Not that I am discouraging you from reporting anything or anyone, but if the battle is personal use the "ignore" feature on your contact list and vB will remove all his/her's posts from your view, essentially eliminating your person from your point of view.

But if the discussion is not spurned from your point of view (eg breaking of rules, etc...) or it is really getting out of hand, then report the pm to the mod's ( forwarding it to an admin / mod).

But if you happily exchange your personal email id and continue the conversation, in your inbox, and suddenly your "friend" turns menacing, we can not help you as he is out of our jurisdiction.

Go to the Cyber Court for that ;)

you flatter me.....

Regards,
    TBA

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

TBA, that is one of the best explanations of how to behave on the forum (or anywhere, for that matter) that I have seen. Thanks for that.

9. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Just to clear up this censorship complaint that always arises here is something I found that explains it very well.

10. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

The sad part about this entire thread is that it has become a reiteration of what everyone should already know: Be polite, show respect and if you can't say something nicely don't say anything. How hard is that?

So enough of the apple polishing, back slapping and saber rattling

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

We have a cyber-court here????

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Yes we do. Keep it up and you'll be on double secret probation. :D (I hope you're familiar with the classic movie Animal House, as fine a piece of film ever made.)

13. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

All major countries have cyber courts and cyberlaws to protect its citizens from (basically) identity theft and online scams.
    A quick google would reveal the laws for your country.

How-ever only a few countries have the laws for online harssment (unless s-exual)

But we must remember that as the server is in the USA (am i right?) all legal matters fall under the jurisdiction of USA, whose cyber laws ... are pretty well laid out ;)

Regards,
    TBA

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Toga, toga, toga, toga....

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I was asking if we had cyber-court here on the forum, but I think that we are ruled by a group similar to the wicked witch of the west and the flying monkeys from the "Wizard of Oz"....

sunny971 likes this.
  16. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Theres certainly a lot of 'stuff' that goes down 'off the forum' that regular Rogues aren't privvy too, not to mention long-histories with some members (and all those posts that don't stay in public for very long).

Mods always get a bad rap for doing the dirty work too. "Hey - i liked that guy - why did they ban him? I hate that mod for doing that!" type of stuff. Mods never get a pat on the back for booting the (countless) spammers and neo-nazis and their like.

17. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

okey okey we get the point.. TBA is right... blaa blaa blaa

Let's move on shall we!!!!

we got a war to discuss!

von Poop likes this.
  18. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

And i ask this question to all rogues, who are uncomfortable with the staff

Do you think you can do a better job of keeping a watch on 31,237 (Counting) Threads, going through 376,710(counting) posts, just to find one tiny post, that spams?

And if you answered yes to the above, remember that you are always under the constant watch of the forum members, one slip (on anyone's part) and your rep goes down, starting instant flame wars.
    But if that slip is serious, the whole forum is liable to break up, and hence the moderators are forced to pull some muscle to keep things under control.

And also remember that you have a real life to contend with, and an example to set to other new members.

It is the every day life of the mod.
    Remember this, that if they do not do your duty... future threads would be like this.
    To all users, Even though the moderator's efforts and methods may seem harsh to the victim and company, when looking down from a birds eye view, it is found that the decision taken is for the best interest of the community, (in the long run).

Of course some issues would not be to your best interest, but we have to live with it, and if you manage to solve the issue, you become a more integral part of the community.

Think of it as a win-win situation rather than a no-win situation.

Of course, that would mean that both the involved parties have to be first willing sincerely to back track, and solve their issues amicably,
    Then i presume that the Members Banned counter would drop.

Regards,
    TBA

19. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

What is this about TBA???

why are you always in argument.. no one is disaggreeing with you. Why must you insist on bringing up the rules of the forum. It's easily available you don't have to be like the gestapo and keep shoving it down our throats.. enough is enough.

we get it. the mods will deal with those who break forum rules, end of discussion.

von Poop likes this.
  20. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Here's a thought, and just a thought...
    What's the point of this daft and ongoing thread?
    People come, people go, people are binned, nobody died.
    It's only the Internet.

(And like Sunny says - 'don't you people know there was a war on?' ;) )

~A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.