Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Disvovering Gliwice/ Gleiwitz Silezia

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by Skipper, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

while driving through Polish Silezia, I drove near this !

Some of you may know the name of Gleiwitz due to the famous radio mast that was called Operation Himmler and was the start of the Invasion of Poland.

The operations were mostly carried out on 31 August 1939. The operation - as well as the main German offensive - was originally scheduled for 26 August; the shifting diplomatic situation resulted in delay until 31 August/1 September - but one of the German undercover units was not informed and carried out its attack on a German customs post; several Germans were killed before the incident ended.[8] The operations were carried by agents of the SS] and the SD. The German troops, dressed in Polish uniforms, would storm various border buildings, scare the locals with inaccurate shots, carry out acts of vandalism, and retreat, leaving behind dead bodies in Polish uniforms. The bodies were in fact prisoners from concentration camps; they were dressed in Polish uniforms, killed (by a lethal injection, then shot for appearance) and left behind.

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Himmler#/media/File:Sender_gliwice.jpg

Today the historical mast tstill exists and is not far from the Highway betwween Wroclaw (Breslau) to Katowice. It is the highest wodden radio mast structure in Europe.
    However I hard a hard time convincing Mrs Skipper to make a stop in downtown Gliwice : she finally gave in . I'm glad Idid ! (see following postings) .

Milestone, Otto and Owen like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

These are some historical baroque style German XIXthe century buildings that have been preserved after the war. The overall condtion is ok and many buildings are curently being restored. At first sight not much is left of the former German presence. However Polish authorites have saved quite some cultural elements, including architecture and collectables, especially when they are common to both Polish and German culture. Note some inscription on building have been deleted. (the flat squares , possibly had heraldry or dates etc.. I'll have to find now and thens to compare) .
    It is smart not to speak German to the Poles and behave you think it's still German because it isn't. The Gliwice Poles are very nice and some speak English or German, but it's their choice to be helpful in that language, do not impose it, Other languages are absent, and even in museums guides speak Polish only , sometimes an Englsih text is availble . Sorry for the greyish atmosphrere due to heavy rainfall that day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

One of the former major churches of the day (name will follow if I find it) . It was transformed by the Communists into the city main Post office but it's closed now and is under restoration. The sign Postca Polska with the Polish eagle is still there.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

One shocking aspect of the town authorities in my opinion is the permission to put satelite dishes on such historical buildings.

[​IMG]

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

reaching the main square (RING = RYNEK) of the old town. Note the restaurant. in what used to be the former townhall /rathaus

http://www.xn--jdische-gemeinden-22b.de/index.php/gemeinden/e-g/734-gleiwitz-oberschlesien

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the right side of one of the pictures one will note a dicrete sign of the office of a German honorary consul.. The Poles have restored this place in a lovely way and preserved its historical aspect. Too bad the weather was so cold, because in Summer it must be nice to sit ethere and enjoy a drink while watching the tourists.

YugoslavPartisan likes this.
  7. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Such a beautiful architecture. Thanks again for sharing!

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

The main church which unfortuntely was closed. [​IMG]

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Enjoying them Skipper. Good stuff.

Skipper likes this.
  10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Just wait until you the inside of the buildings :cool:

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The radio tower is interesting historically, but the town is magnificent. Glad you convinced Mrs. Skipper to stop there.

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

In fact we had no clue, but a poster told us there was a WW1 exhibition at a museul called "Willa caro" Their was an enlarged German soldier on it with a Pickelhaube, so we were intigued and decided to ask people how to go there. A young man spoke English and showed us the place on his I Phone. It was only a block away so we went. There was a huge 19th century villa with luxiurious furniture and decoration , but at this point we had no idea what we were going to see. From what I understood the Villa called Villa Emma when it was a private place and that used to belong to a man of taste called Oskar Carro who was a rich Jewish industrial. He lived on the first floor and had dedicated the second florr to his militaria collection which is focussed on Silezian regiments beween 1864 and 1918. The furniture had many Polish, German and French pieces Nobody spoke anything else but Polish , but one lady lent me a photocopied document with an English translation of the first floor exhibition.

Pictures will follow soon.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Enterring the first floor of Will Carro : Overwhelmed by an avalanche of luxury : Bohemia cristal , paintings of Prussian and French kings (Friedrich II , Louis XIV .... marber , tapestries......

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

And nox the entrance to the Walhala ! I have never ever seen such a collection in my entire life. Parade Waffen rocks, white officer mantels, Uhlans, Cavalry, artillery , you name it!

[​IMG]

The entrance, with the poster I saw downtown.

[​IMG]
    1880s Pickelhaube for this reservist Officer with blue Waffenrock and gold pour le Mérite......

[​IMG]

Otto (well not our Otto but the one who gave his name to a Battleship)

[​IMG]

More officers with Grey mantel and bleu Waffen rock .

[​IMG]
    Documents, wehrpass with cover, shoulder tabs etc.....

Owen, YugoslavPartisan and KJ Jr like this.
  16. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Wow, those uniforms with medals look lovely.

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

More including Picklehaube cammos!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

More goodies. Some from the 5th + 154th Regiment + wall decorations, paintings etc... + rare Reservisten frames with colorized pictures of Silezian soldiers. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Very nice! Keep 'em coming.

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

More beautiful Prussian officer uniforms (Waffenrocken etc..) from Silezian regiments. I have never ever seen such mantels in my life . The officer cammo for the 1880 Pickelhaube is awaesome and the sharpshooter award is so nice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]