Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Do you consider History Channel...

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Za Rodinu, Apr 16, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Quite a few people have messaged THC about the content for quite some time. It appears to fall on deaf ears.

2. FramerT

FramerT Ace

No, not for the most part, anyway. Check it out, it's not bad. Loaded with all the same old BS commercials over & over & over, though.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

They are business in it to make money and entertain. Not to really educate.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Col, I.CO,

Col, many thanks &, it's a dang shame aint it? that that is what is passing for programming these days.

I.CO, I agree w/ya about Modern Marvels--there's only so much of that that I can take. Heck, i'd rather watch that Mike Guy do his "Dirty Jobs" on Dirty Jobs, than that dribble that passes for entertainment on THC. Man, I remember a time-when ALL of their programming was Military History.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Ike, and im still waiting to see if Don is going to purchase a Military Channel Franchise. He and I talked about it some a few years ago. ;-))

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The trouble is, is that they used to educate and did a nice job of it but, like you said, it all is now nothing but making as much $$$$ as they can get.

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

and spend very little in what they produce

8. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

It's a shame....Firepower, Battleground, Wings of the Luftwaffe, Mail call....A&E used to run World At War....they had some of the old WWII flicks....that's why I don't watch TV anymore, Have better things to do than watch chicks in bikinis eating bugs.

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I think that the writers strike had some kind of effect also. It really hit the skids when that was on.

10. ItemCo16527

ItemCo16527 Member

I love Dirty Jobs. One of my all-time favorite shows with a fantastic host. I missed a lot of the first season, but thanks to THC becoming the Modern Marvels Channel, I was able to watch it every week, and get caught up on what I missed.

I'd like to send a big "thank you" to THC for chasing me away to another network for my entertainment! :D

11. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

My only real experience of the History Channel was being advised to see one of their Evidence of History productions on the Battle for Cassino.
    As someone who actually spent a few "unpleasant" months in the area at the time the battle was being fought I expected to find it full of unsubstantiated footage.
    To my present surprise I found it excellent and the "reproduction" episodes well portrayed.
    Whilst on this point, I am never over keen on mixing actual wartime footage with "reproduction" as invariably the viewer is never told which items are factual and which have been manufactured at a later date.
    But, as I have already said, in the Cassino film this was very well done.

12. TA152

TA152 Ace

Discovery channel has had a few good shows that I liked to watch and were educational. I like watching the series on SEAL training. I had no idea humans could take that much abuse. Also they did a show about Army Rangers in a competetion for best Ranger and that was amazing too that people can endure so much.

I would agree with everyone on the History Channel though. Just entertainment but better than watching American Idol.

There must be miles and miles of news reel footage in US, British, and Russian archives if someone had the time and money to sort it all out. Perhaps even the Germans saved more than what has been discovered.

I have a relative who took footage of the war in Europe and we tried to watch it but the old 8mm movie cameras are a nightmare to operate and we did not get to see much. You have to loop the film around 5 or 6 slots and pulleys to get it to work in the machine.

13. RAM

RAM Member

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, almost all the channels and document makers tend to exaggarate a bit ( or a lot ) so one has to be careful always. Anyway, some of the programs are made of lesser known situations so it´s always interesting to see the video and perhaps get some new ideas from it.

Just bought History Channel dvd set " Dead men´s secrets" which has some interesting stories.

Dead Men's Secrets DVD Collection

15. Richard

Richard Expert

I don't have digital so I have never seen it. Judging by the comments here sounds like good entertainment and starting place but do not believe all you hear. There are not many real good documentary's or series out there so you just have too way up what they are offering you and prey.

16. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

Was it the Military channel that had tha Special Forces Olympics? Stay up with out sleep for 48 hours, 25 mile hike with 90Lb field pack then obstacle course, tactical problem, break down and reasemble weps....it was fun to watch.

17. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Last night on History Channel:

"The Red Army in the Stalingrad and Kursk battles suffered more casualties than the entire US and UK armies combined in the entire war. That's why those were called Deep Battles."

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH !!! :chainsaw:

18. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Isaw the boys of h company on history channel i thought that was quite good anyone agree disagree?

19. mavfin

mavfin Member

I sometimes watch the WWII shows on HC and other channels, but, I always watch it with a grain of salt. I get some good laughs when they show one piece of equipment, and call it something completely different, for example.

One night, they showed a Japanese carrier, supposedly the Akagi, as one of the six carriers that bombed Pearl Harbor. It was obvious to me that it was probably Shokaku, because of the location of the island. Definitely wasn't Kaga or Akagi for sure. Another night they showed the 'early P-51', and it had a bubble canopy. I still like seeing the footage, even if they don't label it right. I just keep in mind that the narrator may not have a clue...

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I don't get it at home either, so it's difficult for me to judge, however I have some of their DVD's