Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dodge weapons carriers

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by yan taylor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hi, I dont know if this is the right place for this info, Dodge weapons carriers, I need some data on a couple of these vehicles for my American Infantry Company and Infantry weapons Company.
    WC1 T207 4 X 4 1/2 Ton
    Amount Made ?
    Crew + passingers

WC4 T207 4 X 4 1/2 Ton (37mm ATG Tow)
    Year ?
    Crew + passingers

WC51 4 X 4 3/4 Ton
    Crew + passingers

WC52 4 X 4 3/4 Ton (57mm ATG Tow)
    Crew + passingers

I think there was a Command varient to
    Thanks for any help.
    Regards Yan.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

This site doesn't have production numbers, but does answer some of your other queries.

Goto:

United States' 3/4 Ton, 4x4, Truck, Ambulance - World War II Vehicles, Tanks, and Airplanes

This other site isn’t as easily available as it used to be, but this page was "cached" fortunately and I could still open it up. Now, the number total they list (I believe) is the number built, not the number imported to the USSR auto-park. I believe the 230,000 number is all styles built between 1942 and 1945, with smaller numbers coupled with the various styles.

Goto:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.autogallery.org.ru/m/dd34.htm

Or at least that is how I'm interpreting the list.

yan taylor likes this.
  3. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Thanks Clint, they are only small trucks by the photos, so my guess is that they could carry two crew in cab and six passingers in the back.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You are welcome Yan, and I think you are probably completely correct in your assumption on carrying capacity. A three quarter ton truck really is just a really big "pickup" with heavier duty chassis, springing, and drive train. The Dodge "command car" version was what Patton went tooling around in, he loved it apparently and fitted his with sirens and air-horns to announce his arrival.

They were rugged and dependable, if a little "slow" by today's standards, they were plenty fast for the time.

5. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Thanks Clint, the command car was called the WC56, 6010 built.

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Checking in The Blessed Vanderveen.

Most numerous 3/4 ton 'Beep' is the T214. More than 1/4 Million made from '42-'45 (not just US production)
    WC51/WC52 doesn't really indicate load or weapons carried. Only whether it has a winch. (51 is the one without, and formed roughly half the production total).
    Command spec ones run from WC56 to WC58.
    WC55 carried mounted 37mm.
    WC60 - Emergency repair version.
    WC59/K50 WC61/K50b - Telephone maintenance version.
    WC53 - Hard top Carryall
    WC54 & WC64 - Ambulance

Don't forget Canadian built versions too, T207 was made with a British WD body over there as T212, and T214-WC52 was built from '44-45 as the T236.

And oh yeah, I want one.

~A

7. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Thanks Von, can the 3/4 ton carry more then the 1/2 ton because its more heavier ?, I think the WC55 Fargo was a nice little vehicle pitty about the 37mm being to light, but if you notice around this time period 1941/42 alot of countries equipped there light vehicles with small calibre guns,
    Germany: Sd.kfz 250/10
    British: 2pdr Portee/Morris C8
    Italian: Sahariana AS 42
    I hope your wish will come true and one day you will cruise round in own T207 :cool:.
    Regards Yan.

8. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

I have just been looking at site on google about the TO&E of a US Infantry Company and it said after 1942 all weapons carriers were replaced by Jeeps, what happened to the ones produced after this change, were they used in a nother role ?.
    Regards Yan.

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I wouldn't bank on 'em being universally replaced Yan, it may even just be a nomenclature thing - Jeep/Beep, ignoring 'Weapon Carrier' definition and just reclassifying as Jeeps, etc..
    Failing that, they produced 'em right through, and they're certainly not rare in photos - lot of other mobs than the Infantry if they really did cash 'em in.

But of those that were eventually retired, hundreds of 'em seem to have graced the European postwar Vehicle dumps, and many were sold off (The origin of the phrase 'Dump Truck' If I recall rightly). The Liberated Western European countries had many a Beep taken onto their strength. Either given, or 'loaned' - certainly many such vehicles seem to have found their way onto the restored vehicle circuit via that route (There was a beautiful 'New' one for sale at Beltring a while back that had come via French or Belgian stocks - will see if I can find my photos of it). Fair few pictures of 'em about in French Civil & Fire Brigade service for sure.
    There was also a lot of transfer of such surplus vehicles to UN programmes postwar - Forgotten the details and not sure how widely Beeps figured in that, but I'll have a dig in Wheels & Tracks as I think there were some solid articles on the subject in there. (In fact, I'll see if there was a heftier article for such a universal vehicle too).

Lovely shot of an 'unusual' MG mounting on the 37mm Beep here:
    [​IMG]
    American Armor

Ah, found the shots I took of that Perfectly 'new' Beep on WW2T - from the 2009 Beltring - The pics really don't do justice to it's condition, it was gleaming.:
    Beltring War & Peace Show 2006-2009 - Page 5 - World War 2 Talk
    I like Beeps, can you tell? :shifty:

~A

10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

11. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

I shall pick through the link over the weekend, Thanks Von.

12. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hey Von was that you I past the other day driving a WC58, you might of seen me I was in my brand new Sd.Kfz 222.
    Enjoy the ride, Yan.