Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Does the SS Minden Hold £100M in Gold?

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 23, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Hope it's worth the effort.
    "A group of British treasure hunters have found a chest that could contain up to £100million in Nazi gold in the wreck of a German cargo ship off the coast of Iceland.
    UK-based Advanced Marine Services found a box containing up to four tons of valuable metal, believed to be gold from South American banks, in the post room of the SS Minden, which sunk in 1939.
    The gold was believed to be on board the ship and headed to Germany when the boat sank 120 miles southeast of Iceland on September 24, 1939, shortly after World War II began.
    Advanced Marine Services has applied to the Icelandic government in hopes of gaining permission to cut a hole in the ship to remove the box.
    The treasure hunters, who believe the haul belongs to the finder of the box, want to bring the contents back to Britain, according to The Sun.
    Earlier this year, the group was accused of looking for the wreckage of the German cargo ship without proper licensing."
    British treasure hunters 'find 'Nazi gold' near Iceland | Daily Mail Online

Otto likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Sorry, but that shipment was diverted to a train that was hidden in a tunnel in Poland.

Otto likes this.
  3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I knew it rang a (ship's) bell! :D

OpanaPointer likes this.
  4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Another Secret Nazi Gold(tm) story. I like hearing the new versions that pop up from time to time.