Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
  1. artlara1

artlara1 New Member

A mini biography of my grandfather, Donald Arthur William Hecke, who served in the United States Army during the Korean War.

View attachment 19141

Donald A. W. Hecke was born on October 27, 1931 in Red Bud, Illinois. He was the son of Arthur Heinrich and Maxine Scott Hecke. He was the first of two children.

Don's father, Arthur Heinrich, was a WWI Army veteran. I don't know any information on his service though, but as soon as I know more, I shall share it.

Also, Don's cousin, Victor O.P. Hecke was a veteran of the Army Reserves.

View attachment 19143
    Victor O.P. Hecke (2/6/1941-2/13/2012)

Don entered the service in 1950 and was honorably discharged on November 20, 1952. He was discharged a Private First Class. My grandfather had some really great stories that he told me from his youth, but he only told me one story about his time in the service. The story goes like this…
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My grandfather was with his unit one day and they had taken a break. My grandfather, and a few other men, noticed their Sergeant sleeping under a tree. Now the Sergeant was a bigger guy and he had just eaten a can of beans, which made him gassy. My grandfather approached him, while he is still sleeping, and took out a match and lit it. When the Sergeant passed wind, well... you kind of get the picture. After the Sergeant had gotten up, he started to chase my grandfather. The terrain was I guess hilly because my grandfather kept going up and down these different hills and it really tired up the Sergeant.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 19142
    My grandfather in college

He attended Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois. He was the chief editor of the school's newspaper, and later achieved the title Director of Communications. He graduated in June, 1958. In June, 1976, Don Hekce bought the Teutopolis Press from the Siemer family. At the time of the purchase, J.H. Griffin was managing the newspaper and Luella Griffin was serving as editor. In 1979, the Teutopolis Press moved from the old Worman Printery building to its present location at 107 East Main Street. Don Hecke founded The commercial Printing Company on December 7, 1979. In 1979, Don married Angela Carraher in Springfield, Illinois. On December 22, 1982, Mr. Hecke and his wife Angela opened The Springfield Shopper in Springfield, Illinois. On September 10, 2001, The Hecke's moved from Cherry Rd., Springfield, Illinois to Manteo, North Carolina. There, Mr. Hecke joined with the Manteo Masonic Lodge and only stayed for about a year (2005-2006).

Don moved back to Illinois in August of 2011. He had dementia really bad and had to be cared for in a nursing home until the house my grandmother bought for him was complete and ready for him to live in. Sadly, he never was able to live in the house. He died on November 26, 2012 at the age of 81.

View attachment 19144
    My grandfather with his friend Dale Paterson, Springfield, IL

Attached Files:

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thanks for sharing your grandfather's story here, Arturo. I like the photos, too. It helps to be able to put a face to the name.