Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Donald John Trump

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Tamino, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freebird

freebird Member

Ukraine will be more sincere in negotiations when they find that Trump is not going to back them endlessly

Perhaps, but this one would cost Putin nothing, as the outcome would not be in doubt.

He already did pledge reforms when he came to power. Considering that the Russians are propping him up, he's not really in a position to stubbornly defy them.

The caliphate will not cease to exist, but it will cease to exist openly in Syria/Iraq - with a bang.

Russia might not be able to prevent Iran from getting a bomb (without conflict) but they can offer to stop helping Iran, as a nuclear armed Iran is not in their interests.

2. green slime

green slime Member

Ukraine hasn't been backed endlessly.

A referendum does, and it would. Firstly there is the costs associated with having another referendum and all the work and costs that entails, then there is the fact that it would be an admission that the first referendum was invalid. So no. Putin has zero interest.

Yes, Assad pledged reforms then, and changed diddly squat. The Russians aren't "propping him" up for free, which Assad is well aware of. Even without the Russians, the regime was not letting go. Syria is far too important to the Iranians, to let Assad fall without a serious fight.

Or more likely, your unholy Quartet will disintegrate into bickering again.

"Helping" Iran? I beg your pardon? Iran gets no "help" from Russia. They align and co-operate on common issues, beyond which, Iran pays for anything delivered from Russia. After decades of various Western embargos against Iran, the regime is still in power. If the Russians wont sell, the Chinese will. Losing what little influence over Iran Russia actually holds, seems like a real unintelligent move.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

And then there's the problem of people who refuse to accept the result, and keep demanding another one until they get the result they want.

4. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Russia saved Assad and Syria. Tons of humanitarian aid delivered to civilians. Field hospitals left for the Syrians to use. Syria will keep some of the new weapons (Pantsir systems for expample) a line of credit plus the expansion of the Russia base. Reconstruction of Syria will be lead by Russia (contracts awarded). Russian is already taught in Schools as officially the second language. Syrians are overwhelmingly thankful for what Russia did (regardless of what Western media may claim).

In short, after all that Russia has done, Assad can't fart without Russia's approval :D

Russia is the only powerful ally Iran has. Relationship between the two states has only gotten closer in Syria. Just as Syria, Iran will do what Russia says.

First I'm hearing of this. Creating a delivery system such a missile capable of carrying a nuclear bomb is in many cases more difficult than creating the bomb itself. Saudi Arabia doesn't build weapons worth mentioning and has no missile program to even speak off. What missiles/rocket launch sites do you speak off? Can't imagine the US giving it to them...

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

My friend I'm afraid you may be downplaying relations between the two states. Russia and Iran have better relations than the US and Saudi Arabia. Iran's civilian nuclear program exists solely because of Russia and is only expanding with Russian help. Iran wants weapons to protect those sites and others and only Russia can give them that (the upgraded S300 Iran recently received for example). All of the training also come from Russia. Iran is also interested in joining the SCO and that can't be done without Russia. Russia is also greatful to Iran for the rescue of its pilot shot down in Syria. It is Russia and not China that counter balances Sunni pressure from the likes of Turkey for example (which is why an agreement between the 3 states on Syria) has risen so many eyebrows. The Iran nuke deal was possible because of Russia as well... China's best friend is Pakistan which will no doubt cause problems for Iran in certain areas if it decides to pursue larger goals.

Iran and Russia are friends not simply business partners. This relationship isn't subsiding.

6. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Look the guy is a business man and just getting in to being a politician of course nothing can be taken at face value, when did we start believing what we hear from such people. Surely no one is taken in by anything said during an election campaign, or do such folk still exist.

Taxes and Russia or an ongoing theme with any Government and a good politician never answers the question they are asked. As for outsourcing Trump has said he wants a trade deal with the UK, he can outsource his research, development and production here if he wants.

7. freebird

freebird Member

True, but in this case the divide is so one-sided that it would be hard to dispute, if the referendum is seen as free and fair

Which shouldn't be surprising to anyone, except those listening to the mainstream press babble. ;)

A confirmation referendum question could be attached to the polling in Crimea for the local elections in early 2018 at little additional cost.
    Certainly would be peanuts compared to the cost of sanctions.

Putin could declare that the previous results were perfectly valid, but a confirmation will be obtained (with international observers) as a courtesy to Trump and the west.

Trump may not even push for a re-vote and just accept the previous result, but if the US and EU did push for it, it would be a small price to pay to end sanctions

I didn't say that he would Institute reforms prior to the deal, he'd only pledge to (for what it's worth)

I think Sloniksp has answered your point better than I could, but in the final analysis each party has reasons to want a deal, so concessions could be made.

8. green slime

green slime Member

Try visiting Teheran. I know Iran better than many. The relationship will "subside" faster than a snowball melts in hell if Russia tries to bully Iran. Negotiate is one thing, but get stroppy...

The Islamic Republic will never bow down to external pressure without a fight, and if you think that Russia can start to bully Iran, Putin will find out real fast that Iran is nothing if not proud.

Iran doesn't need Russia to counter "Turkish Sunni pressure"; the Turks and Iranians have quite cordial relationships. Which is why many multinational corporations do their dealing in Iran through Turkey.

S-300, is a "nice to have", but not a must. In reality, the sites are hardened, underground bunkers that aren't going to crumble to some vague Air strike, or Israel would already have done so.

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

My friend this can be said about any and all relationships between countries and people. No one likes to get bullied and will respond accordingly :D

In large part the two have a great relationship because neither one meddles in the others affairs. Russia isn't telling Iran how to live and never did so even during Soviet times. There is no reason for Russia to bully Iran. I think both understand that nothing constructive will be gained from such tactics.

Turkey was just an example... Sunnis in general was the point I was trying to convey. Turkey is perhaps the easiest to get along with the same can't be said about the Gulf States...

Civilian nuclear plants are above ground (usually). There are also plenty of other soft targets Iran wishes to protect. All countries have these concerns and this is nothing new. Israel hasn't struck Iran because its unnecessary and could lead to a much larger conflict. Not to mention that such talks are always held with other nations...US and Russia are usually always in the loop (Russia especially after its entry into Syria).

10. green slime

green slime Member

Russia is NOT Iran's ally. Far from it. You are horribly mistaken in your belief that Iran dances to Russia's tune. You even suggest that to an Iranian, and you will be laughed out of the room. You have to stop believing that manure fed to you by RT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/world/middleeast/iran-russia-syria.html?_r=0
    So much for doing what Russia says....

WRT to Saudi; Time to wake up and understand the Middle East, then. That is why they pruchased the missiles from China. Saudi is nothing if not rich. The sIte is nearly 10 years old... And the Saudi's purchased Chinese DF-3's alrady in 1987

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Watah_ballistic_missile_base

http://www.nti.org/learn/countries/saudi-arabia/delivery-systems/

The Saudis bankrolled the whole Nuclear development of Pakistan. Of course, the Pakistanis deny it, and the Saudis, as NPT signees claim it's all water under the bridge. But the message Has been very clear. If Iran gets the Bomb, Saudi will too.

Amos Yadlin, a former head of Israeli military intelligence, stated during a conference in Sweden that if Iran got the bomb, “the Saudis will not wait one month. They already paid for the bomb, they will go to Pakistan and bring what they need to bring.”

11. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

My sources are not limited to RT far from it. Relations between the two states are excellent. Regardless of what the "West" states or reports on. Iranian president and Ayatollah had have publicly stated that Russia is a "friend" not just a partner. Delegations often visit each other. More and more contracts between the two are inked. Reports in the media from both nations constantly write about friendly relations. I even have a few friends from Persia who have family back there and they too claim the same thing.

This base incident is nothing serious or even worth mentioning. This was only temporary. Both are trying to save face.

I was under the impression that you were speaking of ICBM's apologies. These are 45+ year old Chinese missiles. They are for show and scare no one :D Iranian domestically produced missile are capable of taking them out. Won't even mention the S300's.

This is old news.

12. green slime

green slime Member

You do know that the Soviets invaded Iran in 1941, withdrew most reluctantly at the end of WW2, and then only after Iran filed the very first complaint in the UN, and that they had further tried to set up puppet Soviet States in the northern areas they had controlled? That the Soviets created the Communist "Tudeh Party", and "Kurdish People's Republic" during this period?

That it was the Moscow trained Marxists and Communists, that incited what would ultimately be the Revolution, in Iran in '77? Only to be usurped by the better organised, more culturally credible and widely acceptable Shiia clerics? Originally Khomeini was only brought in as a figure head?

There was a reason why the Leaders of the Islamic Republic called the Soviet Union "the Lesser Satan".

Iranians are determined to remain free of foreign dominance and influence. Even today.

13. green slime

green slime Member

A "friend" is not an Ally. Their relationship is only "excellent" in the context that they need to be. Cordial would be a more accurate term. Keep denying it, but Iran stands on its own two feet, and apologises to no one. Iran recognises Assad's Syria as an ally. But you won't see Iranian soldiers dying for Russian interests. As Australians did for US interests in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. That is the difference between "friends", and "allies"

Of course they were saving face: but a Russian screwed up, Iranian opinion demanded a withdrawl, and Russia obeyed. That's not Iran doing whatever Russia says.

No one mentioned ICBMs. You don't need an ICBM to hit Iran or Israel from Saudi with a nuke. And as these are mobile with multiple launch sites... no, the Iranians cannot guarantee they can take them out prior to launch. And the DF-21 is not 45+ years old.

The Nuclear Power Plant in Bushehr was originally a German project, from 1975...It's been on and off literally for decades. If Russia won't deliver, someone else will eventually.

As to "soft targets"... Sure the Iranians would like to protect them. But not to the point of threatening their independance of action, which you suggested. They aren't going to play Russia's tune for the benefit of a few S-300's.

They pay for what they purchase. And reverse engineer as much as they can.

14. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Yes I do not see Iranian troops dying for Russian interests. Why would they? Iranian troops are fighting alongside Russian special forces in Syria tho. I will concede the fact that Iran and Russia are not allies in sense of US and GB but they are certainly more than simply cordial.

Ofcourse Russia left. What is she going to say no?

Sorry I'm not sure the point of this debate. Saudi Arabia may have outdated Chinese missiles. They will not be fired at Iran and certainly not Israel. Iran isn't producing nukes.

I can't imagine that the US would allow a NATO member to build a nuclear plants in Iran. I'm afraid it's also not easy to simply switch supplies. Plants from Russia vs Western countries are completely different. Iran has been trained to operate Russian plants for years to switch would mean to revamp the whole system. Not an easy task. Not to mention that Russia's nuclear plants are a bit more sophisticated than Germany's for example. These plants and equipment aren't exactly interchangle either...

15. Takao

Takao Ace

Look at the date...1975...Iran was still under control of the Shah, and an Ally of the West.

It isn't, but it was done.

Very Doubtful...The VVER-1000 V-320 is also a very dated design, and, at a glance, is no more sophisticated than the German one that was to be used.

"According to a local report, 24% of the parts are German in origin, 36% are Iranian-made while 40% are Russian-made."
    http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-g-n/iran.aspx

16. Takao

Takao Ace

17. freebird

freebird Member

That's pretty much the policy under Obama.
    Ukraine declares that no deal is possible unless Russia returns Crimea, which ain't gonna happen.
    Hence a stalemate.

However, if Trump wants to cut a deal, he will tell Ukraine to make the best deal possible, but if they are stubborn and refuse then he may just end sanctions anyways, and leave Ukraine to deal with Russia on their own.

An incentive for both sides to compromise.

18. freebird

freebird Member

19. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Politics aside, I see nobody on this military forum criticizing this draft dodger and then bad mouthing true heroes,
    Nobody taking issue with this ass making fun of the disabled, or thinking he is entitled to grope women because of his money and position, or that he can stiff his workers out of their pay and get away with it, or not pay taxes regardless of his wealth. This is not dishonest news stories, he has admitted to these things or was taped saying them. Have we become a society that actually accepts these things as normal? I am concerned what he will do as president but you can bet your ass it will have nothing to do with helping the working class. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe he's intent to use his position to accumulate as much money as he can at the expense of the people. By the way, I couldn't vote for either of these candidates- system has become so corrupt it sickens me.

LRusso216 and KJ Jr like this.
  20. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Insulting war heroes???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.